Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Daily Prayer - For my son

Good Wednesday morning, my friends.
 
Sixteen years ago today, December 5, 1996, a son was born to me and my wonderful wife, Rosemary.  A little brother for Mary Kate.
 
He showed up a little early - he wasn't due until early March.  Elijah weighed a little over two pounds (and at one point a week or so later, just under).  There were lots of complications, a long stay in the hospital, a lot of worry, and a lot of stress.  We were warned of health issues that were sure to happen.
 
Our Advent season that year was one spent in hope that our son would survive and that he would be healthy.  Faith was not really a part of our lives back then, but in hindsight I am amazed at how God worked through that time and how He has continued to work in our family.  He has given us not only a strong, healthy, wonderful son - He has given us His Son.  And our earthy hope has become a Godly hope, a certainty, that He will indeed one day wipe away every tear.
 
Happy Birthday, Elijah.
 
Love, Dad.
 

This prayer is for my son, but is also my prayer for you and your children.
 
What a beautiful adventure we are on together, my precious son.  My wholehearted prayer for you is that you will be "rooted and established in love" (Ephesians 3:17) — my deep and unconditional love for you and your heavenly Father's inexhaustible love for you – and surrounded by loving family and friends who encourage and support you.  I pray that you dream big and become all that God has created your little heart to desire.
 
I pray that you stay close by God's side even when it is the road less traveled, and that you live with conviction and stand for truth at every opportunity.  I pray that you are healthy and safe and that you feel God's protective arms around you when you go into the world.  I pray that you never doubt your Mommy and Daddy's deep desire to be the very best parents for you, and even during those moments when we fail, may you trust God to fill in those gaps with His unfailing love.
 
May your life be built on the wisdom of God and a discerning heart.  May God "fill you with the knowledge of His will  through all spiritual wisdom and understanding" (Colossians 1:9), and may "the eyes of your heart be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which He has called you, and the riches of His glorious inheritance" (Ephesians 1:18).
 
Above all, may our daily prayers for you, because of God's mighty power, help to clearly light your path and lead you to become an instrument of His grace, righteousness and love.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment