Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Daily Prayer - the purpose of the Church

Good Wednesday morning, my friends.
 
C.S. Lewis writes in Mere Christianity:
It is easy to think that the Church has a lot of different objects — education, building, missions, holding services. Just as it is easy to think the State has a lot of different objects — military, political, economic, and what not. But in a way things are much simpler than that. The State exists simply to promote and to protect the ordinary happiness of human beings in this life. A husband and wife chatting over a fire, a couple of friends having a game of darts in a pub, a man reading a book in his own room or digging in his own garden — that is what the State is for. And unless they are helping to increase and prolong and protect such moments, all the laws, parliaments, armies, courts, police, economics, etc., are simply a waste of time. In the same way the Church exists for nothing else but to draw men into Christ, to make them little Christs. If they are not doing that, all the cathedrals, clergy, missions, sermons, even the Bible itself, are simply a waste of time. God became Man for no other purpose. (p. 171)
Church is not a building we go to or something we do on Sundays.  We are the church. 
 
So the question should never be "Are you going to church today?" but rather "Are you going to be the church today?"
 
So?  Are we?
 
"My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message," (John 17:20)
 
 
Grace and peace be yours in abundance.
Bruce
 
Today is a 2fer day - 2 prayers for the price of 1! 
Father,
 
I pray for courage as I begin this day,
for I understand there is work to be done,
burdens to be carried,
feelings to be shared
and joys to be celebrated.
 
Grant me the courage to be silent that I may hear Thy voice;
to persevere, that I may share Thy victory;
and to remember, lest I forget the way by which Thou has led me.
 
And when this day is done, O Lord, may I have the courage to see Thy guiding hand in the friendships that have been made,
in the hurts that have been healed,
and in the strength that has been given.
 
Amen.
 
 
 
Lord God,
 
you have called your servants
to ventures of which we cannot see the ending,
by paths as yet untrodden,
through perils unknown.
 
Give us faith to go out with good courage,
not knowing where we go,
but only that your hand is leading us
and your love supporting us;
through Jesus Christ our Lord.
 
Amen.
 
 
 
Bruce MacPherson
 
macpherson@celtic.ca / Blog: The Celtic Christian / Home: 613.489.4174 Cell: 613.720.0821
 
You are receiving this email because you have requested it or I felt you would be interested in this material.
 
If you would like to be removed from this email list, please do not hesitate to contact me at the above email address.
 
Likewise, if you know of someone else who you believe would appreciate receiving these messages, please let me know.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment