Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Daily Prayer - Blessed to be a blessing

Good Wednesday morning, my friends.
 
This morning I was reading a daily scripture email from The Canadian Bible Society.  In this passage David is in the tabernacle praying and giving thanks to God.  Something he prayed struck a chord with me:
And now, Lord God, keep forever the promise you have made concerning your servant and his house. Do as you promised, so that your name will be great forever. Then people will say, 'The Lord Almighty is God over Israel!' And the house of your servant David will be established in your sight. (2 Samuel 7:25-26)
I am all for asking and expecting the Lord to keep His promises to me and my family.  I tend to remind Him of His obligations on a daily basis!  But I rarely, if ever, ask Him to do it so that His "name will be great forever".  I ask it for me, wanting special favours for my own private gain.  I do not ask it so that others will see that God is with me and blessing me for my obedience and trust.  Just as the Israelites forgot that they were blessed so that they would be a blessing to all nations (Genesis 22:17-18), I (we?) forget that God blesses us so that we can be a blessing to those we meet.
 
How have you been blessed today and who around you can be blessed as a result of it?
 
 
Grace and peace be yours in abundance,
Bruce
 
Speak to Aaron and his sons, saying, Thus you shall bless the people of Israel: you shall say to them,
 
    The Lord bless you and keep you;
    the Lord make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you;
    the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace.
 
So shall they put my name upon the people of Israel, and I will bless them.
 
Numbers 6:23-27
 
 
Bruce MacPherson
 
macpherson@celtic.ca / Blog: The Celtic Christian / Home: 613.489.4174 Cell: 613.720.0821
 
You are receiving this email because you have requested it or I felt you would be interested in this material.
 
If you would like to be removed from this email list, please do not hesitate to contact me at the above email address.
 
Likewise, if you know of someone else who you believe would appreciate receiving these messages, please let me know.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment