Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Daily Prayer - Missing the point

Good Tuesday morning, my friends.
 
I received this thought provoking devotional today:
 
Tuesday, June 24, 2014
Missing the Point
 
Key Bible Verse: “These people say they are mine. They honour me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me.” (Isaiah 29:13)
 
Dig Deeper: Mark 7:1-23

 
When we deny our humanity and try to become more clean, or more pure, or more sanctified, we end up on the wrong end of that work.  The work instead becomes sanctimonious, and it means we hide our true human struggle and become self-righteous, smug, holier-than-thou, pious, pompous, and a few other lovely terms that describe humans trying to appear more godly than people around them.

Many Christians base their personal sanctification on whether they had a devotional time that day, avoided swearing, and went to church.  But while they may feel great about their “walk with God,” they have not loved their neighbours as much as they love themselves, they haven’t cared for or [even considered caring for] the needs of the sick or the poor, and there’s been no focus toward unbelievers in their lives.

On the other hand, there are many other people who swear and sometimes don’t get their devotional time in but who wake up and spend their entire day doing the very works of God in the world.  They throw parties for their friends, they take a few hours and help with practical needs, or they spend time with people whom most of the world would never touch.  Which do you think Jesus prefers?
 
     — Hugh Halter in Flesh
 
My Response: How do I measure my personal sanctification?
 
 
Thought to Apply: Hypocrisy can plunge the mind of a man into a dark abyss, when he believes his own self-flattery instead of God’s verdict. – John Calvin (French theologian, pastor)
 
 
I know I can be quick to judge those in the Church who "break the rules" - swearing, partying, whatever - oblivious of their witness in the community.  Meanwhile my own personal prayer, devotional and Bible reading time may be doing little to further the Kingdom.  Tough to swallow.  But a good lesson.
 
 
Grace and peace be yours in abundance,
Bruce
 
*NOTE: After this week I will be taking a break from sending out the "Daily Prayer", probably until September.  I may send out the occasional message if I come across something that strikes me deeply.  I would also love to have "guest bloggers" - you!  If you have a prayer, either from one of my messages or from elsewhere (perhaps one of your own authoring), please send it to me with a note that I can share with the group so that we can encourage each other.
 
 
Father, we’re grateful for those throughout history who chose to be men and women of faith,
whose hearts were fashioned in Your image,
for those who served Your purpose in their generation.
 
We also want to serve Your purpose in our generation. 
 
Help us to stay steadfast and strong as we run this race set before us. 
 
Thankfully, in this race, we’re not in competition to be the only prizewinner.
 
Instead we take hold of the hands of those who run with us and invite those on the sidelines to join us. 
 
We want to cross the finish line together so that we will all receive the grand prize of life eternal with You. 
 
May we never give up! Amen.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment