Search This Blog

Monday, July 5, 2010

Fathers and Sons

Good Monday morning, my friends.

I awoke early this morning from a very disconcerting dream.  I was helping my 13 year-old son, Elijah, to do something like bungee-jumping, except there was not bungee cord just a large inflatable that he would land on - about 45-50 feet below.  I came awake very afraid that he would miss the target or in some other way be hurt in the fall.  I did not want my son to be injured, let alone be the one to cause it.  (In the dream, just before helping Elijah, I helped one of my sisters do the same thing - that didn't bother me for some reason!  And I can't say which one since all 3 sisters are on this list ...)

Almost as soon as I was awake thinking about the dream, 2 distinct images came into my mind.  The first was Abraham with his knife-wielding hand raised over Isaac, ready to sacrifice him on the alter as per God's command.  Here was a father willing to take his own (and only) son's life out of faithfulness.

The second image was of God asking His own Son to die for me.  Literally for me, Bruce.  I have always struggled with the concept of God loving me personally, but this sure helped to put that into perspective.

Do you know, truly know, that He did it for you too?


Amazing Grace and Eternal Peace to you today,
Bruce



Heavenly Father, I am so thankful for Your incredible sacrifice.

You sent Your only Son to die in my place.

Your love for me overwhelms me, but shames me too that I cannot return it in kind.

Lord, help me to live every day in Your great love and mercy, and to extend it to others.

Amen.



Bruce MacPherson

macpherson@celtic.ca 

No comments:

Post a Comment