Search This Blog

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Serenity

Good Thursday morning, my friends.

This morning, I came across a copy of "The Serenity Prayer".  I am sure you are all familiar with it (and if you are like me, somewhat tired of it): "God grant me the serenity..." etc.  But what I found this morning was the original and somewhat longer text.  All I had ever heard or read was the first verse.  (I am curious if any of you have ever heard the full version?)  

Personally, I want to be "reasonably happy in this life, And supremely happy with You (God) forever in the next".


Amazing Grace and Eternal Peace to you,
Bruce



God, give us grace to accept with serenity
the things that cannot be changed,
Courage to change the things
which should be changed,
and the Wisdom to distinguish
the one from the other.

Living one day at a time,
Enjoying one moment at a time,
Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace,
Taking, as Jesus did,
This sinful world as it is,
Not as I would have it,
Trusting that You will make all things right,
If I surrender to Your will,
So that I may be reasonably happy in this life,
And supremely happy with You forever in the next.

Amen.

Reinhold Niebuhr (1892-1971)



Bruce MacPherson

macpherson@celtic.ca

1 comment:

  1. Oh Bruce, tire of the Serenity Prayer?? Never! And now that I have seen the rest of it, I love it even more. This is the prayer that changed my life and was my beginning out of darkness into light. It is the prayer that God used to work his first miracle in me. The link to see that there could be peace with the past, a possibility of change for the mess, and a hope that there could be something called "happy" in my life. It is more dear to me than anything. It was my beginning and I have passed this prayer on to a couple of people in hopes that God can heal them too and give them a new beginning. I bet Mr. Niebuhr never suspected what God could do through the prayer of His Spirit. I wonder how the prayers that you have shared, Bruce, may have affected someone else's life?? Just imagine what He could be doing through you! :) Joy and peace to you across the water! xoxo

    ReplyDelete