Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Why did He come?


Good Wednesday morning, my friends.

As we prepare to celebrate the birth of Jesus on Saturday it seems only fitting that we ask the question: Why did He come?

I was listening to the Gospel of Luke on my drive to work this morning, and Jesus answered the question himself.  Early in His ministry Jesus stood up in the synagogue in Nazareth and this is what transpired:


He stood up to read, and the scroll of the prophet Isaiah was handed to him. Unrolling it, he found the place where it is written:



   "The Spirit of the Lord is on me, 

       because he has anointed me 

       to proclaim good news to the poor. 


   He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners 

       and recovery of sight for the blind, 

       to set the oppressed free, 

       to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor."



Then he rolled up the scroll, gave it back to the attendant and sat down. The eyes of everyone in the synagogue were fastened on him. He began by saying to them, "Today this scripture is fulfilled in your hearing."

(Luke 4:16b-21)

I love that:  I need the good news.  I need freedom.  I need sight!  I need the Lord's favor!  Hallelujah!  This scripture is still being fulfilled in our hearing.  People are still hearing the good news, gaining freedom and sight, and receiving the Lord's favor in the form of forgiveness, grace and mercy.  THAT is why He came.

If you want to watch something that will make you smile today, have a look at this video:  The Christmas Story, Facebook style.



Grace and peace be yours in abundance,
Bruce



Let the just rejoice,
for their justifier is born.

Let the sick and infirm rejoice,
For their saviour is born.

Let the captives rejoice,
For their Redeemer is born.

Let slaves rejoice,
for their Master is born.

Let free men rejoice,
For their Liberator is born.

Let All Christians rejoice,
For Jesus Christ is born.


St. Augustine of Hippo (AD 354-440)






Bruce MacPherson

macpherson@celtic.ca / Blog: The Celtic Christian / Home: 613.489.4174 Cell: 613.720.0821

You are receiving this email because you have requested it or I felt you would be interested in this material.

If you would like to be removed from this email list, please do not hesitate to contact me at the above email address.

Likewise, if you know of someone else who you believe would appreciate receiving these messages, please let me know.


No comments:

Post a Comment