Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Daily Prayer

Good Wednesday morning, my friends.
 
This morning I was listening to Matthew 16 and 17.  I wouldn't usually compare myself to one of the apostles, but I have to say I see a little of myself in the way Peter behaves in these chapters.  In chapter 17, during "the Transfiguration" on the mountain where Jesus is meeting with Moses and Elijah we are treated to this little scene:
 

Peter said to Jesus, "Lord, it is good for us to be here. If you wish, I will put up three shelters—one for you, one for Moses and one for Elijah."

 

While he was still speaking, a bright cloud covered them, and a voice from the cloud said, "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. Listen to him!" (Matthew 17:4-5)

Nothing like being interrupted by God - "Peter, shut up and listen to My Son!"  I had to laugh because I can see myself blurting out words like Peter does at the wrong time.
 
Back in chapter 16 immediately after being praised by Jesus for his declaration that "You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God." , Jesus says to Peter "Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the concerns of God, but merely human concerns".  Like Peter, I can be praising God one minute, and shooting my mouth off disrespectfully to, or about, someone the next.  Sigh - thank God for Grace.  And thank God for His Word - what a wonderful gift we have in this.
 
I know this prayer has nothing to do with the topic above, but I like it and wanted to share it with you.
 
 
Amazing Grace and Eternal Peace be yours,
Bruce
 
 

O Father, give us the humility which realizes its ignorance,

admits its mistakes,

recognizes its need,

welcomes advice,

accepts rebuke.

 

Help us always to praise rather than to criticize,

to sympathize rather than to discourage,

to build rather than to destroy,

and to think of people at their best rather than at their worst.

 

This we ask for thy name's sake. 

Prayer of William Barclay

 
 
 
Bruce MacPherson
 
macpherson@celtic.ca / Blog: The Celtic Christian / Home: 613.489.4174 Cell: 613.720.0821
 
You are receiving this email because you have requested it or I felt you would be interested in this material.
 
If you would like to be removed from this email list, please do not hesitate to contact me at the above email address.
 
Likewise, if you know of someone else who you believe would appreciate receiving these messages, please let me know.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment