Search This Blog

Friday, July 15, 2011

Daily Prayer

Good Friday morning, my friends.
 
How hard is it to have an eternal perspective in the midst of a major (or even minor) crisis?  It certainly does not come naturally (at least not to me) - it has to be a conscious effort.  Take yesterday for instance.  After work I go down to my vehicle, parked three stories underground, turn the key, and hear nothing but "click-click-click-click".  A very depressing sound.  Made all the more depressing by the fact that I was heading home to pack this vehicle so that we could head out to New Brunswick today.  I thought "Oh great - what if it is the starter?  How on earth would a tow truck ever be able to get me out of here, considering the low ceiling height in the parking garage?  And if I do get it out, how can I get it fixed in time?"
 
I took a deep breath.  Then I took another.  And maybe half-a-dozen more.  Finally my thoughts turned to God and I said "OK Lord - what are you up to here?  Is there a message in this for me?"
 
I am not sure there was a "message" per se, but there was a blessing.  It turns out my battery was toast.  CAA arrived (I highly recommend a membership with them!) and I met a technician named Russell.  He was extremely helpful and friendly.  As he worked, he told me how much he loved his job, how much he loved helping people.  I told him he was an answer to prayer (because he was!).  I now have a brand new, fully warranteed, battery and if I have ANY trouble with it on the way they will come to me and fix it - I don't even have to try to find a garage.  This was a minor crisis, but could have been closer to major had it happened somewhere along the way to Bathurst.  As usually happens for me, something that looks like a disaster turns out to be very beneficial (to prosper me?).  And faith building.
 
What is going to happen to you today that will cause you great anxiety? If and when it does, take a deep breath (or ten).  And turn it over to God.
 
For God has not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. (2 Timothy 1:7)
 
 
Grace and peace be yours in abundance,
Bruce
 

Dear God,

As I wake up this morning may Your spirit come upon me.

May my mind receive Your emanations, my soul receive Your blessing,

and my heart receive Your love.

May all those I meet or even think of on this day feel better for it.

May I contribute peace.

May I serve Your purposes with all I say and do, today and always.

Please show me how. Amen

(Marianne Williamson, Illuminated Prayers,1997, published by Simon & Schuster)

(http://www.pray-with-beads.com/illuminated-prayer-1.html)

  
 
Bruce MacPherson
 
macpherson@celtic.ca / Blog: The Celtic Christian / Home: 613.489.4174 Cell: 613.720.0821
 
You are receiving this email because you have requested it or I felt you would be interested in this material.
 
If you would like to be removed from this email list, please do not hesitate to contact me at the above email address.
 
Likewise, if you know of someone else who you believe would appreciate receiving these messages, please let me know.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment