Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Daily Prayer - O Come All Ye (Not So) Faithful

Good Tuesday morning, my friends.

 

I really like this message from John Fischer.  Particularly this: "if our security with God depended on our faithfulness to Him, I'm afraid we would all be in bad shape; but the good news is: our security with God depends on His faithfulness to us."  My response to that is "Thank God!"

 

 

O Come All Ye Faithful                    

 

by John Fischer 

 

...And not so faithful, too.

 

There is a saying that was popular in the early days of the church. Paul called it a "trustworthy saying" in a letter to Timothy: "If we died with Him, we will also live with Him; if we endure, we will also reign with Him. If we disown Him, He will disown us; if we are faithless, He will remain faithful, for He cannot disown Himself" (2 Timothy 2:11-13 NIV).

 

Have you ever come to the Christmas season, caught yourself singing, "O Come All Ye Faithful," and wondered: "Who's that? Who can say they have been faithful to Christ?" If we were honest, could anyone say they were entirely faithful in their walk with God? I would want to add, "Compared to what?" because "faithful" would have to be a relative thing. We all fail Him. We all struggle with faith. We all prove to be unfaithful partners with God.

 

In other words, if our security with God depended on our faithfulness to Him, I'm afraid we would all be in bad shape; but the good news is: our security with God depends on His faithfulness to us.

 

Jesus chided his disciples for having "little faith," but He did not kick them off the team for it. He called His followers an "unbelieving generation," but He did not abandon them. And in spite of the saying above about disowning those who disown Him, Jesus apparently made an exception to that rule for Peter, who on three occasions disowned having any part of Christ. He later forgave Peter and accepted him back.

 

As we come to the end of another year, I'm sure we can all recall times when we struggled with faith, had a hard time finding it, or perhaps found ourselves unfaithful to God. Some may be in such a place right now. This is a time to worship God for His faithfulness to us. We may have let go of Him, but He will never let go of us, because we are His, and He cannot disown what belongs to Him.

 

So for us, faith is a relative thing. We all struggle with our own demons. Maybe for you, "faithful" means you're ready to get yourself back in the fold. Can't think of a better time to do it.

 

"O come all ye faithful..." and not so faithful, too! It doesn't matter as much how you come, but that you come. Get yourself to Him; that's what counts.

 

 

John Fischer

The Catch Online

 

 

Amazing Grace and Eternal Peace be yours!

Bruce

 

(Please get out there and help a needy family – and let me know the results!)

 

Lord Jesus, I am full of gratitude today as I consider Your abiding presence in my life. 

 

You planned my existence in my mother's womb before I even drew my first breath. 

 

When so many people have come into my life and exited it throughout the years You have taken up residence and You forever rule my heart. 

 

When the path before me was unclear You have always gone before me sustaining me in my wilderness journey.

 

Though all forsake me You remain faithful, and remarkable as it seems, even if we are faithless, You will remain faithful, for You cannot deny Yourself. 

 

Thank You for being my Supreme Savior and the Sustainer of my soul. 

 

In Jesus' Name, Amen.

 

(http://www.prayerfortoday.net/)

 

 
 
Bruce MacPherson

macpherson@celtic.ca / Blog: The Celtic Christian / Home: 613.489.4174 Cell: 613.720.0821

You are receiving this email because you have requested it or I felt you would be interested in this material.

If you would like to be removed from this email list, please do not hesitate to contact me at the above email address.

Likewise, if you know of someone else who you believe would appreciate receiving these messages, please let me know.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment