Search This Blog

Monday, January 7, 2013

Daily Prayer - Adjusting course

Good Monday morning, my friends.
 
So the Christmas tree is gone.  The decorations are packed away.  The turkey is history.  The presents are hung in a closet or stored in a cupboard.  Now what?
 
For me, the joy and peace I was experiencing in the lead up, the Advent, to Christmas seem like a faint memory.  There is an after-Christmas blah that has set in. The question is "why"? 
 
Well, in my case I would say that it falls under the adage "if you are feeling separated from God, it's not because God moved".  In other words I have drifted away from Him.  As the old hymn says "Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it; Prone to leave the God I love".  In any relationship, communication and time together are critical to a healthy, mutually beneficial fellowship.  When we are talking about God, that means time in prayer, time reading and meditating on His word.  In prayer, God comforts me with the message that He is still in charge, that I can count on Him to prosper me and not to harm me (Jeremiah 29:11).  In reading and meditating on His word, God makes amazing promises to me, promises He will keep, and He shows me a way of living that not only pleases Him, but also makes my life more fulfilling.  So today I adjust my course, setting a tack back to the One who sustains me, the One who has done everything for me.
 
How about you?  How are you and God doing today?  Do you need to spend some time together?
 

Grace and peace be yours in abundance,
Bruce
 
 
 
Come, Thou Fount of every blessing,
  Tune my heart to sing Thy grace;
Streams of mercy, never ceasing,
  Call for songs of loudest praise.
Jesus sought me when a stranger,
  Wand'ring from the face of God;
He, to save my soul from danger,
  Interposed His precious blood.

O to grace how great a debtor
  Daily I'm constrained to be!
Let that grace, Lord, like a fetter,
  Bind my wand'ring heart to Thee.
Teach me, Lord, some rapturous measure,
  Meet for me Thy grace to prove,
While I sing the countless treasure
  Of my God's unchanging love.

Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it;
  Prone to leave the God I love:
Take my heart, oh, take and seal it
  With Thy Spirit from above.
Rescued thus from sin and danger,
  Purchased by the Savior's blood,
May I walk on earth a stranger,
  As a son and heir of God.
 
Robert Robinson, 1757
 

No comments:

Post a Comment