Search This Blog

Friday, January 18, 2013

Daily Prayer - Negotiating?

Good Friday afternoon, my friends.
 
Do you have peace with God?  Do you feel AT peace with God? 
 
If not, then perhaps you are still negotiating with him about your sin vs. works. 
 
For me the negotiation goes something like this: "God, I don't do nearly as much of the bad stuff I used to do, I go to church every Sunday (OK, most Sundays), I go to my Bible study group, I write these amazing daily prayer emails - You HAVE to accept me now!" 
 
Maybe yours is "God, if You will just help me to start/stop doing _______________ then I will do/not do ________________."
 
Sometimes we all feel that our failures, our sin, prevent us from approaching God.  We think our sin makes us unworthy to ask anything of Him in prayer.
 
What we fail to remember in these moments is the promise God made to us; a promise sealed in blood.  When humans make such a promise, both parties confirm the promise by cutting their palms so that when they shake hands, their blood is mixed (and all the women go "uuuggggghhhhhh!" - more of a guy thing, I guess!). But when God made His promise, confirmed His promise, only His blood was shed.  He took full responsibility for it - we do not have to contribute anything. We do not have to negotiate anything.  "Peace to men on whom his favour rests" (Luke 2:14).  And His favour rests on those who accept the forgiveness offered to them.
 
If we are honest, I believe we would all confess that there are times we do not feel at peace with God.  Those are the times to remember the Cross and realize once more the incredible gift of grace we have been given.
Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we boast in the hope of the glory of God. (Romans 5:1-2)

Amazing Grace and Eternal Peace be yours.
Bruce
 

Dear Lord Jesus, I am lacking Your perfect peace.
 
Please help me to turn my heart and mind toward You.
 
I know that I am involved in a spiritual battle and that the enemy seeks to destroy the peace I can have with God.
 
Forgive me, Lord, for seeking peace apart from You and strengthen me according to Your Word.
 
Amen.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment