Search This Blog

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Daily Prayer - She saw how we loved

Good Thursday morning, my friends.
 
I keep coming back to this verse: "By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." (John 13:35)
 
Is correct doctrine and theology important?  Absolutely.  But the way we treat others will have a much greater impact on them than what we believe.  Want proof?  Think about your own life - you have been influenced by two types of people: those who hurt you, and those who loved you.  The people who hurt you might have had incredibly correct theology, may have been in church every Sunday, but what effect did that have on you?  Yet the people who deeply loved you may have had very hazy beliefs, may have hardly ever attended church, but did that matter to you?
 
Again, correct doctrine and theology are important.  Important to us, and to our salvation.  But if you want to draw others in, do it by loving them in.
 
I saw the greatest example of this happen this past weekend.  We invited a 20-something year old friend to join us for church.  She is not a follower of Christ.  She saw that our church distributes boxes and boxes of free fruits and vegetables every week to anyone who wants them.  She saw that our little cafĂ© that sells coffee, tea and muffins donates thousands of dollars every month to charities and missionaries all over the world.  She saw how we loved.  She also heard a strong, theologically sound sermon.  And she loved it all.  She wants to come back this Sunday.  How exciting is that???  She saw how we loved. 

As a good (Maritimer) friend of mine would say: "It's not rocket surgery".

Who are you (and your church) going to love into a life with Christ?
 
 
Grace and peace be yours in abundance,
Bruce
 

God I thank You that before I existed, you framed my life together, you knit me together in my mother's womb and you ordained every one of my days.  Nothing about me is hidden from you and nothing that I think or say or do is a surprise to you – you know it all.  God I declare that Your word is truth: I was chosen in love to be adopted by you before the world began.
 
Father, I ask You to open my heart and flood it with your light of revelation.  I don't only want to know you, but I want that deep assurance of being known and loved by You that will bring a rest to my soul and will free my heart to love as You love.  God fill me to overflowing with Your love so that as I have freely received I may freely give.
 
God I thank you that in redemption You have purchased so much – the restoration of my total communion with You and the restoration of my communion with others in Your body.  Jesus I declare that the time has come to see your prayer answered that we might be one even as You and the Father are one – that the world might believe.  Let it be unto us according to Your word oh God!  In the name of Jesus, I pray, Amen!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment