Search This Blog

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Daily Prayer - Help us to be stepping stones, not stumbling blocks

Good Thursday morning, my friends.

Like Paul, I want us to desire the best gifts.  And the best gift of all is love.  Happy Valentine's Day!

I want you to desire the best gifts. So I will show you a much better way.
 
Love
 
What if I could speak all languages of humans and of angels? If I did not love others, I would be nothing more than a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. What if I could prophesy and understand all secrets and all knowledge? And what if I had faith that moved mountains? I would be nothing, unless I loved others. What if I gave away all that I owned and let myself be burned alive? I would gain nothing, unless I loved others. Love is kind and patient, never jealous, boastful, proud, or  rude. Love isn't selfish or quick tempered. It doesn't keep a record of wrongs that others do. Love rejoices in the truth, but not in evil. Love is always supportive, loyal, hopeful, and trusting.
 
Love never fails! Everyone who prophesies will stop, and unknown languages will no longer be spoken. All that we know will be forgotten. We don't know everything, and our prophecies are not complete. But what is perfect will someday appear, and what isn't perfect will then disappear.
 
When we were children, we thought and reasoned as children do. But when we grew up, we quit our childish ways. Now all we can see of God is like a cloudy picture in a mirror. Later we will see him face to face. We don't know everything, but then we will, just as God completely understands us. For now there are faith, hope, and love. But of these three, the greatest is love.
 
(1 Corinthians 12:31b-13:13)
 
This is a beautiful morning prayer.  One I will be printing to pray each morning for us all.  I hope some of you will do the same.
 

Grace and peace be yours in abundance,
Bruce
 
 
God, we are grateful for life today. 
We seek your direction as we assume our tasks. 
May we lift the lives of others we meet today.  Amen.
 
God, in our world filled with stress, we thank you for your promise to provide peace. 
We invite you to direct our lives today and pray that we might contribute to peace and healing in the lives we touch this day.  Amen.
 
God, we pause at the beginning of this day, to thank you for the beauty of nature, the rich colors of the sunrise, the sweet aroma of roses. 
We pray that our lives will reflect your beauty as we interact with others today.  Amen.
 
God, in a world filled with turmoil, we would seek peace. 
In a world filled with hatred, we would practice kindness. 
In a world where there is hurt, we would provide healing and wholeness through your grace.  Amen.
 
God, with the regular rising of the morning sun we are reminded of your consistent love for us. 
Our prayer is that we might reflect that love to those with whom we meet today.  Amen.
 
God, when life brings us questions, we look to you for answers. 
When life brings us stress, we look to you for peace. 
When life brings us problems, we look to you for solutions. 
Help us to be stepping stones, not stumbling blocks, to those we meet today.  Amen.
 
God, may the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord my Rock and my Redeemer.  (Ps. 19:14) Amen.
 
God, it is so easy for our minds to rehearse all the negative things that exist in our life. 
This morning turn our thoughts toward those things which are good. 
Help us to find ways to promote goodness for others today.  Amen.
 
God, we acknowledge you as the creator of all life and all that is good. 
Thank you for your interest in us personally. 
We seek to reflect your love both to you and to those we meet as we go about our activities this day.  Amen.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment