Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Daily Prayer - What about the rest?

Good Wednesday morning, my friends.
 
Well I was feeling pretty good about myself after sending yesterday's message.  I love making those transfers to our "God's Money" account.  Honouring God with the "first fruits" of my labour twice a month (on payday) for the past few years is resulting in a change of attitude about "my money".  Some of you know exactly what I mean from practicing your own pre-planned giving.
 
But this morning on the way to work, the Holy Spirit tapped me on the shoulder and asked "What about the rest?  How are you honouring God with the rest of your money?".  That really got me thinking.  God is certainly on my mind when I make those transfers to "His" account, but what about every other financial transaction I make during the month?  Every time I reach for my wallet, pull out a credit card or debit card, every time I pay a bill, every time I purchase something on-line, I need to be asking myself "is this honouring God with my money"?  Clothing, feeding and housing my family certainly honour God (so long as we purchase what is necessary and not what simply for fashion or pretension).  Transportation, communications, even entertainment purchases can all honour God.  Or not.  We need to examine each purchase to determine its intention.  (There are even tougher questions we should be asking, such as:  Where is the money is going?  Are we investing in companies that exploit workers and/or the environment?)
 
Consider this: nowhere in the New Testament are we commanded to give.  But we are invited to.  "Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver." (2 Corinthians 9:7).  And lest you think this might contradict the Old Testament, try these on:
Exodus 25:2 Tell the Israelites to bring me an offering. You are to receive the offering for me from each man whose heart prompts him to give.
 
Deuteronomy 15:10 Give generously to him and do so without a grudging heart; then because of this the LORD your God will bless you in all your work and in everything you put your hand to.
 
1 Chronicles 29:9 The people rejoiced at the willing response of their leaders, for they had given freely and wholeheartedly to the LORD. David the king also rejoiced greatly.
 
1 Chronicles 29:17 I know, my God, that you test the heart and are pleased with integrity. All these things have I given willingly and with honest intent. And now I have seen with joy how willingly your people who are here have given to you.
 
Proverbs 11:25 A generous man will prosper; he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed.
Strangely, perhaps, this revelation does not take away my peace but adds to it.  I know that if I think of God more (than twice a month!) in my financial dealings then there will be more for "God's Money" account.  And I really like that.  Everything is God's.  Everything is distributed by God as He determines.  We will be held accountable for what has been distributed to us.  What does your account sheet look like?
 

Grace and peace be yours in abundance,
Bruce

 
Lord, teach me to be generous.
Teach me to serve you as you deserve;
to give and not to count the cost,
to fight and not to heed the wounds,
to toil and not to seek for rest,
to labor and not to ask for reward,
save that of knowing that I do your will.
 
St. Ignatius of Loyola

No comments:

Post a Comment