Search This Blog

Friday, February 22, 2013

Daily Prayer - Thorny issues

Good Friday morning, my friends.
 
Do you have a thorn in your flesh?  Do you have that "thing": that habit, that relationship, that health issue, something, that you have repeatedly asked God to remove or heal?  And all you hear back is crickets chirping?  When we experience this, and we all do, it is easy to start to believe that God doesn't love us, or even that He doesn't exist at all.
 
We all know someone who seems extraordinarily blessed by God.  They have good health, a wonderful marriage, great kids, love God and love to share about it.  God seems to answer all of their prayers.  And if we are honest, we resent them for it.  At least a little.  Because we can't seem to get God's attention at all.  At the same time, however, there are people we know who have been through, or are going through, hell.  Their own or a loved one's health issues, struggles in marriage, broken relationships with children, addictions, you name it.  You see their life is a constant struggle, and yet through that you see an incredible faith, trusting in God, an attitude of gratitude in the midst of their trials.  Now tell me - which of the two people above do you want to be?  Right.  But which of the two inspires your faith more?
 
Paul was a man who certainly knew and loved God, and definitely had God's attention.  God used Paul in powerful ways.  And yet, Paul was afflicted and when he prayed to be healed God said "No".
a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me, to keep me from becoming conceited. Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.  (2 Corinthians 12:7b-10)
And not despite his affliction, but because of it, God was able to do even greater things through Paul.
 
God can show His power through our weakness.  If we let Him.  We have every permission to ask Him to remove our thorn(s), and he may.  But we have to give Him permission to say "No".  We have to give Him permission to use our weakness as a stage to show His power.
 
I have been told "No" in the past.  I did not accept it for a long time.  But when I did, God started to use me in ways I never would have expected.  His Grace was sufficient for me, and it is for you.
I asked God for strength, that I might achieve.
I was made weak, that I might learn humbly to obey...
 
I asked for health, that I might do great things.
I was given infirmity, that I might do better things...
 
I asked for riches, that I might be happy.
I was given poverty, that I might be wise...
 
I asked for power, that I might have the praise of men.
I was given weakness, that I might feel the need of God...
 
I asked for all things, that I might enjoy life.
I was given life, that I might enjoy all things...
 
I got nothing I asked for - but everything I had hoped for;
Almost despite myself, my unspoken prayers were answered.
 
I am, among men, most richly blessed!
 
Attributed to an unknown Confederate soldier
(
http://www.2heartsnetwork.org/strength.htm)
 
Amazing Grace and Eternal Peace be yours,
Bruce
 
 
Lord, I feel very weak right now. 
 
I feel very inadequate and very vulnerable to sin and temptation. 
 
Jesus, at this moment I invite You right inside of my heart where this weakness dwells. 
 
I invite You INTO my weakness. 
 
You have allowed this weakness so that I can experience Your strength and power. 
 
This weakness is the very space where You desire to come to dwell in me with Your power. 
 
This weakness is a tremendous gift because it invites me to reach out to You. 
 
This weakness is a grace because instead of feeding it by embracing sin, I now see it as Your desire to embrace me. 
 
This weakness is the cry of my heart to be in Your embrace. 
 
This weakness is Your way of inviting me to draw very close to You. 
 
Thank you for this weakness and for your power in me.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment