Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Daily Prayer - Training

Good Wednesday morning, my friends.
 
Do you think you could run a marathon with no training and without a proper diet? I can almost guarantee that you (or I) couldn't.
 
In Paul's first letter to the church in Corinth he writes "Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it" (1 Corinthians 9:24).
 
The writer of Hebrews tells us "Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us" (Hebrews 12:1).
 
Life as a disciple of Christ is a marathon, my friends. Training is essential. Not with weights and protein shakes, but with prayer and Bible reading. If we want to build your "faith muscles" we need to be engaged in these activities on a regular, preferably daily basis. Otherwise we are liable to be tripped up, stumble, or simply run out of energy before we get to the finish line. And that would be tragic.
 
How is your training going?
 

Grace and peace be yours in abundance,
Bruce
 
Father God,
Guide me daily and give me the discipline to study your word.
Help me to make time for relationship with you.
I strive to receive the prize you hold for me, Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment