Search This Blog

Thursday, January 30, 2014

Daily Prayer - I doubt it ...

Good Thursday morning, my friends.
 
Are you a "Doubting Thomas"?  Do you sometimes wonder about the truth of what we profess to believe?  I hope you do.  I certainly do.  And we are in good company.  Of course there is Thomas.  Also the father of the epileptic who says to Jesus "I believe!  Help my unbelief!"  In the psalms, doubt is a recurring theme. Gideon certainly doubted.  Zacharias, Martha, Ananias, John the Baptist - all had doubts.
 
But do you feel guilty about your doubts?  You should not.  Instead those doubts should push you to seek answers, to find the basis for those beliefs.

Doubt is not the opposite of faith; it is one element of faith (Paul Tillich)
 
The opposite of faith is not doubt, it's certainty (Annie Lamott)
 

Grace and peace and doubts be yours in abundance!
Bruce
 

Let my doubts help me, Lord,
   not to take anything for granted...
 
Let my doubts push me to probe
   until I find the truth....
 
Let my doubts be sharp-edged,
   piercing through to wisdom's heart...
 
Let my doubts be resolved, Lord:
   in belief, in trust, in confidence
      and most all, in you...
 
(http://concordpastor.blogspot.ca/2014/01/pause-for-prayer-thursday-130.html)

No comments:

Post a Comment