Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Daily Prayer - Eyes on the prize

Good Tuesday morning, my friends.
 
I heard this story in a sermon I listened to: 
There were 4 boys in the schoolyard who were somewhat unruly.  The teacher wanted to distract them so he gave them a challenge.  He took them to one end of the football field and pointed to the uprights at the other end.  He said he wanted them to race to those uprights, but the winner would not be the one who got there first, but the one who had the straightest path (there was a couple of inches of fresh snow on the ground).  So off they set.  The first boy went the length of the field looking back at his footprints to make sure his line was straight.  The second did it looking down at his own feet to make sure he was placing one in front of the other.  The third kept watching the first two all the way down.  And the forth set his sight on the goal posts and headed straight for them. 
Who do you think had the straightest line?
 
How many of us in this life are too focused on where we have been rather than where we are going?  Or perhaps we feel trapped where we are right now.  Or maybe we can't help comparing ourselves to others.  Which one do you identify with?  I am guilty of all three at times.  These things divert us from the path God as set for us.  We must have their eyes on the prize that God has in store for us and be running towards it.
 
Grace and peace be yours in abundance.
Bruce
 
 
Almighty and most merciful Father,
Creator and Preserver of Mankind,
look down with pity upon my troubles
and maladies.  Heal my body,
strengthen my mind,
compose my distraction,
calm my inquietude,
and relieve my terrors.
 
And if it please Thee I may run the race
that is set before me with peace, patience,
constancy and confidence.  Grant this O Lord,
and take not from me Thy Holy Spirit,
but pardon and bless me
for the sake of Jesus Christ our Lord.
 
ALLELUYAH
 
Samuel Johnson
 
 
 
Bruce MacPherson
 
macpherson@celtic.ca / Blog: The Celtic Christian / Home: 613.489.4174 Cell: 613.720.0821
 
You are receiving this email because you have requested it or I felt you would be interested in this material.
 
If you would like to be removed from this email list, please do not hesitate to contact me at the above email address.
 
Likewise, if you know of someone else who you believe would appreciate receiving these messages, please let me know.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment