Search This Blog

Monday, April 30, 2012

Good Monday morning, my friends.
 
This morning on my way to work I was listening to the Gospel of John on my audio Bible.  The words of Jesus in Chapter 15 stood out to me:
"I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener.  He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful.  You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you.  Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.

"I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.  If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned.  If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.  This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples. 

Let's be honest - pruning hurts.  No one enjoys being disiplined.  But in order to bear fruit, we must be open to God's correction.  Spiritual growth comes with a cost, but it is a price that is well worth paying.
 
Let's open our hearts today to being pruned.
 
 
Grace and peace be yours in abundance,
Bruce 
 
Father, You are the Master Pruner who is growing me into the likeness of Your Son, Jesus Christ.
 
As I remain in the Vine You assure me that I will bear much fruit lasting far beyond one season.
 
When I consider the fruit You want to grow in me I recognize that it is all based on character traits seen in the Son.
 
Help me to respond in accordance to the pruning knife of the Word of God as it penetrates my soul, judging the thoughts and attitudes of my heart.
 
Cut out that which hinders my growth and submerge me in that which will make me flourish making me fruitful for the Kingdom of God. 
 
Amen.
 
 
 
 
Bruce MacPherson
 
macpherson@celtic.ca / Blog: The Celtic Christian / Home: 613.489.4174 Cell: 613.720.0821
 
You are receiving this email because you have requested it or I felt you would be interested in this material.
 
If you would like to be removed from this email list, please do not hesitate to contact me at the above email address.
 
Likewise, if you know of someone else who you believe would appreciate receiving these messages, please let me know.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment