Search This Blog

Monday, September 10, 2012

Daily Prayer - The cost of discipleship


Good Monday morning, my friends.

Last week I wrote a message on how the Bible describes the followers of Christ as "disciples" rather than "Christians".  I spoke of how being a "disciple" has a much more concrete meaning - how a disciple learns from their teacher, seeks his guidance, and follows his advice.  Yesterday God did what He often does - He took that message and made it personal.  Our pastor gave a pointed message on the cost of discipleship from Luke 14:25-35:

Large crowds were traveling with Jesus, and turning to them he said: “If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, even their own life—such a person cannot be my disciple. And whoever does not carry their cross and follow me cannot be my disciple.

“Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. Won’t you first sit down and estimate the cost to see if you have enough money to complete it? For if you lay the foundation and are not able to finish it, everyone who sees it will ridicule you, saying, ‘This person began to build and wasn’t able to finish.’

“Or suppose a king is about to go to war against another king. Won’t he first sit down and consider whether he is able with ten thousand men to oppose the one coming against him with twenty thousand? If he is not able, he will send a delegation while the other is still a long way off and will ask for terms of peace. In the same way, those of you who do not give up everything you have cannot be my disciples.

“Salt is good, but if it loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is fit neither for the soil nor for the manure pile; it is thrown out.

“Whoever has ears to hear, let them hear.”


This is one of those really tough sermons from Jesus - the ones we tend to gloss over as we read them, or say to ourselves, as His listeners at the time did, "He can't possibly be serious, can He?"

But He is.

If anyone comes to me and does not love Me more than ANYONE else, such a person cannot be my disciple.

If anyone is not willing to DIE for Me or my people, such a person cannot be my disciple.

If anyone is not willing to use EVERYTHING I give them for the sake of My kingdom, such a person cannot be my disciple.

If you come to the end of His message and think "Yeah - no problem.  I've got this down pat" then you, my friend, are a card-carrying Pharisee.  The rest of us come to the conclusion that we are no where near having this right in our own lives.  To which Jesus says "YES! Now we can work together."  For Jesus came to heal those who are sick (and know they are sick), not for those who believe they are healthy; to call sinners, not the (self-) righteous (Mark 2:17).

But do reflect on this: how do I taste to those around me?  Do I add the wonderful salty flavour of Christ?  Or do I taste like everyone else?

“Costly grace is the gospel which must be sought again and again and again, the gift which must be asked for, the door at which a man must knock. Such grace is costly because it calls us to follow, and it is grace because it calls us to follow Jesus Christ. It is costly because it costs a man his life, and it is grace because it gives a man the only true life. It is costly because it condemns sin, and grace because it justifies the sinner. Above all, it is costly because it cost God the life of his Son: 'Ye were bought at a price', and what has cost God much cannot be cheap for us. Above all, it is grace because God did not reckon his Son too dear a price to pay for our life, but delivered him up for us. Costly grace is the Incarnation of God.”
― Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship


Grace and peace be yours in abundance!
Bruce
 

Lord Jesus, I can see that you are seeking to bring us farther along the journey.

We want to walk at our own pace, free to take whatever side trails beckon.

But you are insisting on being the Leader.
It is non-negotiable.

I've learned long ago that I can't rely on my own will and determination.
I am weak.

Today I call upon you afresh for help to follow you faithfully.

Forgive my sins of willfulness and selfishness.
Forgive my grasping at the props of the world.
Forgive my flimsy excuses.

Restore to me the full saltiness of one of your own.
Have mercy upon me.

In your holy name, I pray.

Amen.

(http://www.jesuswalk.com/lessons/14_25-35.htm)
 

Bruce MacPherson   macpherson@celtic.ca 
Blog: The Celtic Christian / Home: 613.489.4174 / Cell: 613.720.0821


You are receiving this email because you have requested it or I felt you would be interested in this material.

If you would like to be removed from this email list, please use the link below. 

 








Sent to celticca.celticchristian@blogger.com — why did I get this?
unsubscribe from this list | update subscription preferences
The Celtic Christian · 1516 Blue Rock Ave · Kars, Ontario K0A 2E0
Email Marketing Powered by MailChimp
 

No comments:

Post a Comment