Search This Blog

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Daily Prayer - Rules or no rules?


Good Thursday morning, my friends.

When I took the Alpha course a number of years ago, Nicky Gumbel told the story of how he had to supervise one of his kid's soccer practices for a while because the coach was running late.  He talked of the chaos that ensued.  The kids were having a miserable time because they didn't know where the boundaries of the pitch were, and because Nicky did not know all the rules and therefore could not enforce them.  They complained about the ball being out of bounds, about hand balls, and all kinds of other infractions.  Nicky would just shrug his shoulders and say "play on!"  Then the coach arrived with pylons to mark the pitch, and a whistle to blow when any kind of infraction occurred.  The coach knew the rules and enforced them.  All of a sudden the complaining stopped and the kids started having a lot more fun because they knew what they (and the others) could and could not do.

This is a metaphor for life.  Life with and without the Word of God.  Without it, without rules, it is chaos.  Do what you want, when you want, regardless of the effect on anyone else.  Or follow a set of rules that are designed to give you a fulfilling life with healthy relationships and grace and forgiveness when mistakes are made.

Which sounds more appealing to you?

Grace and peace be yours in abundance!
Bruce


I am at the point of death.
Let your teachings breathe new life into me.
When I told you my troubles, you answered my prayers.
Now teach me your laws.
Help me to understand your teachings, and I will think about your marvelous deeds.
I am overcome with sorrow.
Encourage me, as you have promised to do.
Keep me from being deceitful, and be kind enough to teach me your Law.
I am determined to be faithful and to respect your laws.
I follow your rules, Lord.
Don't let me be ashamed.
I am eager to learn all that you want me to do; help me to understand more and more.

Point out your rules to me, and I won't disobey even one of them.
Help me to understand your Law; I promise to obey it with all my heart.
Direct me by your commands!
I love to do what you say.
Make me want to obey you, rather than to be rich.
Take away my foolish desires, and let me find life by walking with you.
I am your servant!
Do for me what you promised to those who worship you.
Your wonderful teachings protect me from the insults that I hate so much.
I long for your teachings.
Be true to yourself and let me live.

(Psalm 119:25-40 CEV)

Bruce MacPherson   macpherson@celtic.ca 
Blog: The Celtic Christian / Home: 613.489.4174 / Cell: 613.720.0821


You are receiving this email because you have requested it or I felt you would be interested in this material.

If you would like to be removed from this email list, please use the link below. 

 








Sent to celticca.celticchristian@blogger.com — why did I get this?
unsubscribe from this list | update subscription preferences
The Celtic Christian · 1516 Blue Rock Ave · Kars, Ontario K0A 2E0
Email Marketing Powered by MailChimp
 

No comments:

Post a Comment