Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Two sacrifices


Good Wednesday morning, my friends.

Sometimes I feel my life as a Christian is bi-polar.  On the one hand I want to live for Christ, honouring Him with every part of my life.  On the other hand, I fail to do so on a daily basis.  Whether it be with an unkind word to someone in my family or at work; selfishness in not sharing the amazing bounty He has given to me for that purpose; or just outright sinful behaviour - it is, without a doubt, very difficult to stay on the straight and narrow path.  (I notice though that the path is "straight and narrow" - it doesn't say anything about it being flat.  There are still hills and valleys (mountains and gorges?) to travel.) 

It is certainly frustrating to struggle with these two extremes.  Sometimes are more difficult that others, of course, but God ALWAYS "restores my soul" as the 23rd Psalm says.  And because of this I grow more and more confident that even in the midst of these struggles with my "sinful nature" that God will rescue me.  I pray that you recognize this as well.

The prayer below captures that bi-polar conundrum in a very interesting way.  In the days leading up to His crucifixion, Jesus had interactions with two very interesting people: the woman who anointed him with oil, and Judas who betrayed Him.  We may not always recognize it, but we regularly play both parts in our lives.


Grace and peace to you be multiplied,
Bruce


From the beginning 
you knew the final outcome 
watched as the jigsaw pieces 
were slotted into place 
saw the significance of every moment. 

As your body was anointed with oil 
at the table of Simon the Leper
the picture was becoming clearer 
not only in your eyes
but to an unknown woman 
and one of your closest friends. 

Judas sensed that this was his moment 
sacrificing trust 
that had been so freely given 
on the altar of selfish gain 
for his fifteen allotted minutes of fame 
and thirty pieces of silver.

The woman recognised the moment. 
She gave generously
unselfishly 
a costly gift, freely offered.
A fragrant sacrifice of perfume and love 
remembered forever in your heart.

And as Judas slipped away unnoticed 
your disciples saw none of this 
failed to see the significance of the moment.

Two sacrifices, one of trust 
and one of love. 

But you noticed, Lord 
as you notice each day 
our sacrificial offering 
and betrayal



Bruce MacPherson 

macpherson@celtic.ca / Blog: The Celtic Christian / Home: 613.489.4174 Cell: 613.720.0821

You are receiving this email because you have requested it or I felt you would be interested in this material.

If you would like to be removed from this email list, please do not hesitate to contact me at the above email address. 

Likewise, if you know of someone else who you believe would appreciate receiving these messages, please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment