Search This Blog

Thursday, May 12, 2011

God - what work do you have for me to do here?


Good Thursday morning, my friends.

Yesterday I sent out a prayer request for my pastor who was undergoing prostate surgery.  By the accounts we have heard (his wife was at a women's group meeting last night that my wife attended), the surgery was successful, praise God.  What I want to look at today is the prayer request itself.  The request came from the pastor and he wrote:

I'm writing to thank you for your prayers that have helped sustain us this far.  I'd also ask you to continue praying for us as I go through this surgery tomorrow.  Here are a few specific requests to remember:
  1. successful completion of the surgery (they can be postponed at times)
  2. all the cancer to be removed
  3. no side effects from the surgery
  4. no need for a blood transfusion
  5. that we would be the "fragrance of Christ" to all we meet at the hospital (2 Corinthians 2:14-16)
That fifth item is the one that stands out.  Here is a man in the midst of one of the biggest crisis of his life and he is asking "God - what work do you have for me to do here?".  He understands that whatever trials we have in life, God uses them for His purposes.  Our job is to seek out those purposes rather than focus on our suffering and our needs.  A tall order, but one that brings peace and comfort in times of great stress and pain.

Paul understood this too.  While Paul was in prison in Rome, literally in chains, he wrote in his letter to the Philippians:

Now I want you to know, brothers and sisters, that what has happened to me has actually served to advance the gospel. As a result, it has become clear throughout the whole palace guard and to everyone else that I am in chains for Christ. And because of my chains, most of the brothers and sisters have become confident in the Lord and dare all the more to proclaim the gospel without fear. (Philippians 1:12-14)

And later in the same letter:

For it has been granted to you on behalf of Christ not only to believe in him, but also to suffer for him, since you are going through the same struggle you saw I had, and now hear that I still have. (Philippians 1:29-30)

It has been granted to us to suffer for Him.  

Are you in the midst of suffering right now?  Is it physical? Emotional? Financial?   Whatever it is, it will likely bring you into contact with people you would not have otherwise met.  Listen to them.  Engage with them.  Look for opportunities to share the hope that lives within you.  Can you find the strength to look outside yourself and ask "God - what work do you have for me to do here?" 

We need to view our situation from an eternal perspective; from God's perspective.


Grace and peace be yours in abundance,
Bruce


The LORD is my shepherd;
         I shall not want.

He makes me to lie down in green pastures;
         He leads me beside the still waters.

He restores my soul;
         He leads me in the paths of righteousness 
         For His name's sake. 
         
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
         I will fear no evil; 
         For You are with me; 
         Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. 
         
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
         You anoint my head with oil; 
         My cup runs over.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
         All the days of my life; 
         And I will dwell in the house of the LORD 
         Forever.

Psalm 23


Bruce MacPherson 

macpherson@celtic.ca / Blog: The Celtic Christian / Home: 613.489.4174 Cell: 613.720.0821

You are receiving this email because you have requested it or I felt you would be interested in this material.

If you would like to be removed from this email list, please do not hesitate to contact me at the above email address. 

Likewise, if you know of someone else who you believe would appreciate receiving these messages, please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment