Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Will we act?


Good Tuesday morning, my friends.

Yesterday's post elicited a number of responses. One of them asked a number of questions about the young author I quoted: 

I wonder why he chooses to live on Eustice(sp) Street in Charlottetown?  I wonder if he will summon the courage to try to change something in his neighbourhood's environment and go onward from there?  If he wants to fight, how will he fight?  I wonder, if ever I learned his name, if I would recognize it again in years to come?  What battle banner will he be flying then?   With guidance to act he could be a great leader.  I hope he will act.

I hope so too.  

But then, these same questions could be asked of us:
  • Why do we live where we do?
  • Do we have the courage to change the environment around us?  (To "be the change you want to see" as Gandhi said.)
  • Do we want to fight?
  • If we choose to fight the evil around us, how will we do that?  What "weapons" will we use?
  • Will anyone know who we are as a result of a courageous stand we took?  Because if you do this, you will be noticed.
  • Will be be leaders? Will we act?
Tough questions, and ones we tend to avoid or evade.  You may not be seeing the same issues outside your front door as this young man sees.  I know I don't - I live in a nice, safe, family-oriented subdivision.  But what do I see?  I see marriages breaking up.  I hear kids in the park at all hours of the night.  I know that several unlocked cars had items stolen last weekend. I know of a young girl who lives around the corner that has been severely bullied in school and on the bus.  I see my own kids, now teenagers (?!) dealing with the sewer that passes for culture in our world.  

What do you see?

Will we act?


Grace and peace be yours in abundance,
Bruce


Use me, holy and righteous Father, 
to be your hands and heart in helping those around me. 

Give me the generosity and the patience it takes to be a blessing to those in need who are a part of my church family, 
and also those who have not yet come to know Jesus as Lord. 

In the name of Jesus Christ I pray. Amen.



Bruce MacPherson 

macpherson@celtic.ca / Blog: The Celtic Christian / Home: 613.489.4174 Cell: 613.720.0821

You are receiving this email because you have requested it or I felt you would be interested in this material.

If you would like to be removed from this email list, please do not hesitate to contact me at the above email address. 

Likewise, if you know of someone else who you believe would appreciate receiving these messages, please let me know.

1 comment:

  1. Since Rynier (that’s his name and I believe you will remember it in years to come) will jump in on this discussion later when he has a chance, I won’t tell what I know of his story, but I will say he’s already a leader and an inspiration to many. The questions Bruce asks are ones that Rynier and I have touched on briefly in some respects and neither of us were very satisfied with the immediate answers. We live in an idyllic little piece of unassuming paradise and we spoke of wanting to do so much to change the world. But what can you do to change the world in such a place. Well, Rynier and a few of his friends were inspired and started a movement called COVER, a regular prayer and praise gathering with the goal of covering our capital city and our province in prayer to bring the people to Jesus and Jesus to the people. Appearing idyllic, the unfortunate reality is that our province is absolutely rife with addictions and all the problems that go with them, regardless of the street or community that we live in. These young people are taking a stand and using the weapons that God gave them to change a generation. COVER is branching off and it will be interesting to see the effects for the Kingdom. I have another friend who, against huge obstacles, now does women’s prison ministry and is literally building it up from nothing to a respected networked ministry in the province. Another runs a Crisis Pregnancy Centre. I so admire these people for getting in the ring and fighting but I still feel like I am looking for my own arena. I know that God can and does use me occasionally in day-to-day life. It’s just hard to accept that's all when you’ve got big visions. And yet…. We are where we are meant to be. When God determines the time and circumstances, there may be big changes and big projects ahead, but then again, there may not be. I have to be satisfied in the arena that I sit in. My only weapon to use, and the only one I need, may be prayer. It seems small and insignificant. I don’t see very well perhaps? I see the problems but, oddly, I can’t see my part in the solutions. Normally my work mantra has been “don’t bring up a problem unless you’ve got a possible solution”. All I’ve got sometimes seems to be prayer. Free Will dictates that God waits for us to ask before becoming involved in a situation. I need to be more aware of that power, wield it better and more often!

    ReplyDelete