Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Will we answer the bell?


Good Wednesday morning, my friends.

My sister, Beth, posted this message on the blog about the emails of the past two days:

Since Rynier (that's his name and I believe you will remember it in years to come) will jump in on this discussion later when he has a chance, I won't tell what I know of his story, but I will say he's already a leader and an inspiration to many. The questions Bruce asks are ones that Rynier and I have touched on briefly in some respects and neither of us were very satisfied with the immediate answers. We live in an idyllic little piece of unassuming paradise and we spoke of wanting to do so much to change the world. But what can you do to change the world in such a place. Well, Rynier and a few of his friends were inspired and started a movement called COVER, a regular prayer and praise gathering with the goal of covering our capital city and our province in prayer to bring the people to Jesus and Jesus to the people. Appearing idyllic, the unfortunate reality is that our province is absolutely rife with addictions and all the problems that go with them, regardless of the street or community that we live in. These young people are taking a stand and using the weapons that God gave them to change a generation. COVER is branching off and it will be interesting to see the effects for the Kingdom. I have another friend who, against huge obstacles, now does women's prison ministry and is literally building it up from nothing to a respected networked ministry in the province. Another runs a Crisis Pregnancy Centre. I so admire these people for getting in the ring and fighting but I still feel like I am looking for my own arena. I know that God can and does use me occasionally in day-to-day life. It's just hard to accept that's all when you've got big visions. And yet…. We are where we are meant to be. When God determines the time and circumstances, there may be big changes and big projects ahead, but then again, there may not be. I have to be satisfied in the arena that I sit in. My only weapon to use, and the only one I need, may be prayer. It seems small and insignificant. I don't see very well perhaps? I see the problems but, oddly, I can't see my part in the solutions. Normally my work mantra has been "don't bring up a problem unless you've got a possible solution". All I've got sometimes seems to be prayer. Free Will dictates that God waits for us to ask before becoming involved in a situation. I need to be more aware of that power, wield it better and more often! 

At some point we will all be called upon to "fight".  To get into the ring.  Will we answer the bell?  


Amazing Grace and Eternal Peace be yours in abundance,
Bruce


Heavenly Father, 

Give me the courage to strive for the highest goals, 
to flee every temptation to be mediocre.

Enable me to aspire to greatness, 
and to open my heart with joy to Your call to holiness.

Free me from the fear of failure.
I want to be, Lord, firmly and forever united to You.

Grant me the graces I ask You by the merits of Our Lord Jesus Christ.

Amen.



Bruce MacPherson 

macpherson@celtic.ca / Blog: The Celtic Christian / Home: 613.489.4174 Cell: 613.720.0821

You are receiving this email because you have requested it or I felt you would be interested in this material.

If you would like to be removed from this email list, please do not hesitate to contact me at the above email address. 

Likewise, if you know of someone else who you believe would appreciate receiving these messages, please let me know.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Bruce,

    Rynier forwarded his response in an email to me, so I will post it for him this time:

    Rynier writes

    "Sorry its (this comment) so long. But that's as concise as I can get it. Its just a big vision, hard to put into a few words. Thanks for the opportunity to share.

    [Previous poster asked]
    "I wonder why he chooses to live on Eustice(sp) Street in Charlottetown? I wonder if he will summon the courage to try to change something in his neighbourhood’s environment and go onward from there? If he wants to fight, how will he fight? I wonder, if ever I learned his name, if I would recognize it again in years to come? What battle banner will he be flying then? With guidance to act he could be a great leader. I hope he will act."

    [Rynier's Response]
    My sincerest belief, borne of Scripture and a surface understanding of the character of God, is that I fight by prayer. To be heartbroken for the broken is not a new concept, nor is feeling righteous anger. These are ancient characteristics of our Father, and I believe He has shared them with me purely for the sake of inciting me to action. Scripture is rife with the proclamation that those of us who are the body of the church have a responsibility to those who are outside. But we live in a day where a unified church body does not exist. Individual churches may be strong, but we find it impossible (even denominationally) to work as a functional unit. I intend to answer the ache God has placed in my heart by calling the churches of Charlottetown to restore themselves to their original designs. Until that happens, shattered lives will continue to litter the streets of cities around the world. The challenge is that this will require pastors to shepherd, instead of micromanage, preach with the authority and power they have been anointed with. It will require a elders to guide their congregations into passion and life. And it will require prayer. Mighty intercessors standing in the gap. I'm currently attempting to set up a prayer room in the city with the intention of 24-7 prayer for the body of believers to walk in the knowledge of their power from the depth of Jesus' love. Whether I manage to become a leader or not, I truly cannot be sure, only pray that He will not place me there before I rest entirely in who He designed me to be.

    Rynier

    ReplyDelete