Search This Blog

Monday, October 17, 2011

Daily Prayer - Disturb us, Lord

Good Monday morning, my friends!

 

Paul tells us that we should be, as he was, content in all circumstances:

 

I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.  I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.  I can do all this through him who gives me strength. (Philippians 4:11-13)

 

But notice that "content" does not mean "comfortable" or "complacent".  To be in need, to be hungry, to be in want – these are not comfortable predicaments to be in.

 

Two things I ask of you, LORD;

   do not refuse me before I die:

Keep falsehood and lies far from me;

   give me neither poverty nor riches,

   but give me only my daily bread.

Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you

   and say, 'Who is the LORD?'

Or I may become poor and steal,

   and so dishonor the name of my God. (Proverbs 30:8-9)

 

Being too rich – or comfortable – can cause us to rely too much on ourselves and not on God.  Let's ask God to help us to not let that happen.

 

 

Grace and peace be yours in abundance!

Bruce

 

 

Disturb us, Lord, when we are too well pleased with ourselves;

when our dreams have come true because we have dreamed too little;

when we arrived safely because we have sailed too close to shore.

 

Disturb us, Lord, when with the abundance of the things we possess,

we have lost our thirst for the water of life.

 

Stir us, Lord, to dare more boldly, to venture on wider seas,

where storms will show your mastery;

where losing sight of land, we shall find the stars.

 

We ask you to push back the horizons of our hopes

and to push us into the future in strength, courage, hope and love.

 

Amen.

 

(http://www.archchicago.org/departments/stewardship_dev/pdf/theology_scripture/prayers.pdf)

 
Bruce MacPherson
 
macpherson@celtic.ca / Blog: The Celtic Christian / Home: 613.489.4174 Cell: 613.720.0821
 
You are receiving this email because you have requested it or I felt you would be interested in this material.
 
If you would like to be removed from this email list, please do not hesitate to contact me at the above email address.
 
Likewise, if you know of someone else who you believe would appreciate receiving these messages, please let me know.
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment