Search This Blog

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Daily Prayer - The Good Samaritan (re-mixed)

Good Thursday morning, my friends.

 

Last evening I heard a whole new take on The Parable of the Good Samaritan.  Yes, it is certainly a story about helping someone in need, but perhaps there is more to it.  Perhaps it is a commentary on missed opportunities by the Church.  If you will recall, a priest and a Levite came across the man but each "passed by on the other side".  These two individuals would certainly qualify as "the Church" in Jesus day, and leaders in the Church, at that. They, for whatever reason, decided this man was not worth their time.  So what happens when the Church fails to help?  Well, then the World steps in (this time in the person of the despised Samaritan).  Sure, the World can provide comfort and aid which will help in physical healing but the Church has so much more to offer – spiritual healing, a relationship with God, and eternal life.

 

Is the church truly any different today?  Do we see the hurting in our midst?  Do we take time from our busy schedules to reach out and help?  I know there are parts of the Church who do this well, but in general I think we could do a much better job in this regard.  I am again reminded of the song "Does Anybody Hear Her" by Casting Crowns.   
 

Grace and peace be yours in abundance,

Bruce

 

P.S.  As a follow up to yesterday's note on the movie Courageous, this morning I came across this short (and presumably true) anecdote about fatherhood/parenting:

 

"Earlier this week, as I struggled to keep all the balls in the air, my 6 year-old son hit me with a humbling question-

 

Son: (looking at me quizzically with his head tilted to one side and an eyebrow raised) "Why can't grown-ups smile dad?"

Me: (Fearing where this discussion might be headed, and knowing my stress level lately) "Grown-ups CAN smile bud."

Son: "No they can't."

Me: "Sure.  Grown-ups are able to smile.  Do I smile bud?"

Son: "Nope."

Me: "Does mommy smile?"

Son: "Nope.  My Sister (3 year-old) and I are the only people in this family that smile."

 

At this point a whirl of emotions were circling around in my head, realizing that my stress load had obviously poured over onto the family and was impacted everyone.  Trying to think of a good teacher-like response (nothing came to mind) and wanting to maintain my composure, the only thing that I could come up with was to force a concerned smile, look at him in the eye and ask, "will you teach mommy and I how to smile, bud?"  "Sure dad", he said smiling, with a little bit of a wink.

 

Tore me up.  Time for me to be `da Dad and dive in 100% when I am at home." ~ Curtis K.

 

 

Father, I confess that too often I am highly selective in the way I approach people and put up barriers against those I find unattractive.

 

Would that I could learn to see people more as You see them, and recognize no one according to the flesh, but according to Your view of them.

 

I might not like everyone, but You call me to love everyone with the love of Christ, a love that transcends emotions and barriers and that sees each person as uniquely valued in Your eyes.

 

May I grow in this love of the will by desiring the highest good of those I encounter every day.

 

May I break through the stereotypes and prejudices that I have absorbed from my background and culture, and may I learn to view my love and service of others as my love and service of You.

 

(http://www.kenboa.org/blog/2010/11/24/seeing-people-as-god-sees-them-a-prayer/)


Bruce MacPherson

macpherson@celtic.ca / Blog: The Celtic Christian / Home: 613.489.4174 Cell: 613.720.0821

You are receiving this email because you have requested it or I felt you would be interested in this material.

If you would like to be removed from this email list, please do not hesitate to contact me at the above email address.

Likewise, if you know of someone else who you believe would appreciate receiving these messages, please let me know.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment