Search This Blog

Friday, August 23, 2013

Daily Prayer - Go Light Your World

Good Friday morning, my friends.
 
I want to share with you a thought that I have been mulling around since I heard it in a sermon a couple of weeks ago. 
 
Jesus said "Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." (Matthew 5:15).  So what happens to a lamp if it is put under a bowl?  It is snuffed out because it does not get oxygen.  Did the darkness put out the light?  Nope.  The person who covered his/her own light put it out.  And so it is with us.  Darkness/evil never puts out our light.  We snuff out our own light when we choose to hide or cover it. 
 
Is your light burning brightly giving light to everyone around you?  Or have you covered it and it is now sputtering out?
 
Go light your world.  

Grace and peace be yours in abundance,
Bruce

 
O Lord, I thank you for the light that shines from within!
 
Help me this day to recognize the several points of light that shine within me: the light of faith, the light of hope, the light of love!
 
Regardless of whether or not the sun is shining or the rain is falling, remind me that there is a light that you have given me that will never go out.
 
Help me through my life to brighten the world of the depressed, to glow in a world of darkness and to shine when others struggle to find joy.
 
Remind me that I have a light and that you have commanded me to let my light shine.
 
In a time of war, may my light be a light of peace.
In a time of hate, may my light be a light of love.
In a time of poverty, may my light be a light of prosperity.
In a time of scarcity, may my light be a light of abundance.
 
Bless me this day to be a light to the world.
 
Help me this day to let my light shine that all people might see your goodness, mercy and power, shining through what they see in me.
 
Through Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior we pray. Amen.
 
(Written by Rev. Dr. Nicholas Hood III http://puccdetroit.wordpress.com/2013/01/24/prayer-you-are-the-light-of-the-world/)

No comments:

Post a Comment