Search This Blog

Friday, August 9, 2013

Daily Prayer - Self-deceit

Good Friday morning, my friends.
 
The Bible tells us that "The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure" (Jeremiah 17:9).  I don't know about you, but I can be pretty good at deceiving myself.  Sometimes that self-deceit can last a long time.  For instance, we have a fairly substantial debt that I would love to see paid off.  I have said (to myself) for years that if only we could be debt free, then we could be more generous, have much more to give.  And of course that's true, but as the Holy Spirit pointed out to me recently, it isn't the real reason I want to be debt free.  My real reason, and when I thought about this I could see the truth in it, is about security.  Some how I feel I can be more secure in this life if I have no debt.  So where does that leave me "storing my treasures"?  Where is my trust?  Does not God own "the cattle on a thousand hills"?  Could he not provide immense amounts of worldly wealth to me if He so chose?  Or take everything I have, regardless of what I owe or don't owe?
 
So this deceit has been revealed.  I must examine my motives, learning to trust God more fully.  What about you?  In what respect are you deceiving yourself?  Dare you ask the Holy Spirit to reveal it?
 

Grace and peace be yours in abundance,
Bruce
 

Now may the God of peace ... equip you with everything good for doing his will, and may he work in us what is pleasing to him, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.
 
(Hebrews 13:20-21)

No comments:

Post a Comment