Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring?

Good Tuesday morning, my friends.

In the book of James we read:

With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse human beings, who have been made in God's likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers and sisters, this should not be. Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? My brothers and sisters, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water. (James 3:9-12)

This should not be.  But it is. And it is something I (and perhaps a few others here?) need to work on.  Our loving Father wants us to come to Him when we desire something.  This prayer asks for His help in this matter: "Form within me the habit of praying for help in overcoming those faults" and so will be pleasing to Him.  Lift this prayer with me today.


Grace and peace be yours in abundance,
Bruce


God of mercy and truth, 
You gave us the ability to speak 
so that we might glorify You and 
encourage our brothers and sisters. 

Help me to overcome my tendency to
speak unkindly about others
and to criticize those around me.

Teach me instead to praise, to encourage, to defend,
and to say only those things I myself would
want to hear from someone else.

Form within me the habit of praying for help
in overcoming those faults I observe and of
speaking respectfully to those with whom I disagree.

Please give me also the courage to accept criticism 
from others by responding calmly, 
while honestly considering whether their remarks
contain wisdom and truth.

May all my words be pleasing to You
and beneficial to those who hear them. 

Amen. 

(from the book Saintly Solutions to Life's Common Problems, by Fr. Joseph Esper)



Bruce MacPherson 
macpherson@celtic.ca / Blog: The Celtic Christian / Home: 613.489.4174 Cell: 613.720.0821
You are receiving this email because you have requested it or I felt you would be interested in this material.

If you would like to be removed from this email list, please do not hesitate to contact me at the above email address.

Likewise, if you know of someone else who you believe would appreciate receiving these messages, please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment