Search This Blog

Monday, June 27, 2011

Sinners only this Sunday!

Good Monday morning, my friends.
I am going to steal, ahem, I mean borrow some ideas from an article John Fischer wrote last week.  (Sorry, I don't have a link to the original article, but if I find it I will post it on the blog).
We have all seen the church signs with pithy sayings such as:
"NO JESUS, NO PEACE
KNOW JESUS, KNOW PEACE".
But how about this one:
"WHAT WOULD THIS SIGN NEED TO SAY FOR YOU TO BE HERE SUNDAY?"
And how about this for an answer?
"SINNERS ONLY THIS SUNDAY"
If that is what the sign read, would we feel comfortable attending?  The longer I am in the Church, and surrounded by other church people, the easier it is for me to forget that I am just another sinner who found the incredible gift of salvation.  Like a hungry beggar who finds a free banquet, our response should be to go back where we came from and invite as many people as we see to join us.  But instead we tend to get comfortable with the people already at the table and forget about those we used to hang around with.  Those who are hungry like we once were. 
We have some incredible food.  Who do you want to share it with?
Grace and peace be yours in abundance,
Bruce
Come, Holy Spirit, fill our hearts with your love.
Set our lives aflame with your gifts.
Grant us wisdom to choose what is good and true;
understanding to embrace your plan of salvation;
right judgment to act according to your will;
courage to share our faith with others;
knowledge to live as disciples of Jesus Christ;
reverence to respond faithfully to your grace each day;
and wonder and awe in your presence.
Inspire us with enthusiasm for our faith.
Grant us boldness to proclaim the good news of salvation in Jesus Christ,
and help us to bring the transforming power of the gospel to our world.
We make this prayer through Christ, our Lord.
Amen
 

 
 

Bruce MacPherson  
macpherson@celtic.ca / Blog: The Celtic Christian / Home: 613.489.4174 Cell: 613.720.0821
You are receiving this email because you have requested it or I felt you would be interested in this material.
 
If you would like to be removed from this email list, please do not hesitate to contact me at the above email address.
Likewise, if you know of someone else who you believe would appreciate receiving these messages, please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment