Search This Blog

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Don't Worry, Be Joyful!

Good Thursday afternoon, my friends.
I apologize for the sparodic nature of my missives these days.  I am still settling in to the new job and it, as well as many other things, keeps me quite busy.
After my "Don't Worry, Be Happy" post the other day a few of you, including my lovely wife, pointed out that Jesus wasn't necessarily promising us a life of "happiness".  After all He spoke these words: "Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword" (Matthew 10:34).  That does not sound like a happy place to be!  Perhaps "Don't Worry, Be Joyful' would be a better way to put it, understanding that happiness is based on circumstances and joy is deeper, something that comes from within us.
The prayer below will bring not likely bring you happiness either, but by submitting to its challenge God will bring (more) joy to your life.  (After reading it you will probably understand why the author chose not to sign it!)
Have a wonderful Canada Day Weekend!
Grace and peace be yours in abundance,
Bruce
May God bless you with discomfort at easy answers, half truths, superficial relationships, so that you will live deep within your heart.
May God bless you with anger at injustice, oppression and exploitation of people so that you will work for justice, equality and peace.
May God bless you with tears to shed for those who suffer from pain, rejection, starvation and war, so that you will reach out your hand to comfort them and change their pain into joy.
And may God bless you with the foolishness to think that you can make a difference in the world, so that you will do the things which others tell you cannot be done.
Author Unknown
 

 
 

Bruce MacPherson  
macpherson@celtic.ca / Blog: The Celtic Christian / Home: 613.489.4174 Cell: 613.720.0821
You are receiving this email because you have requested it or I felt you would be interested in this material.
 
If you would like to be removed from this email list, please do not hesitate to contact me at the above email address.
Likewise, if you know of someone else who you believe would appreciate receiving these messages, please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment