Search This Blog

Monday, September 26, 2011

Daily Prayer

Good Monday morning, my friends.

 

I have been reading and re-reading James 5 this week for a Bible Study I am doing with my men's group.  The chapter starts with an ominous "Warning to Rich Oppressors":

 

Now listen, you rich people, weep and wail because of the misery that is coming on you. Your wealth has rotted, and moths have eaten your clothes. Your gold and silver are corroded. Their corrosion will testify against you and eat your flesh like fire. You have hoarded wealth in the last days. Look! The wages you failed to pay the workers who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord Almighty. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves in the day of slaughter. You have condemned and murdered the innocent one, who was not opposing you.

 

As I read this I began to wonder – am I one of the rich oppressors?  Of course not - I don't have labourers who work for me from whom I have withheld wages.  Or do I?  

 

This weekend I put together a firepit to use in our backyard.  It is a cheapie we purchased at Walmart, and was of course made in China.  Under what conditions was it made?  I have no idea.  In this world of "globalization" are we not responsible for ensuring that the items we buy are not made on the backs of slave or child labour?  When we invest our retirement savings in mutual funds or stocks, are we not responsible for ensuring the companies we invest in are not exploiting their workers?  These are questions of stewardship – how are we managing the resources God has entrusted to us?

 

I am struggling with these questions.  And as usual when this happens, I share my struggle with all of you!  I would be interested to hear what you have to say on this.

 
 

Grace and peace be yours in abundance,

Bruce

 

Creator God, giver of life and source of our freedom,

We recognise that yours "is the earth and its fullness; the world and those who dwell in it". It is from your hands that we have received all we have…and are ...and will be.

Gracious and loving God, you call us to be the stewards of your abundance, the caretakers of all you have entrusted to us. Help us to use your gifts wisely and to share them generously.

May our stewardship be a genuine reflection of our discipleship, a tangible sign of our commitment to Christ.

We pray with grateful hearts, in Jesus' name. Amen.

 

Bruce MacPherson

macpherson@celtic.ca / Blog: The Celtic Christian / Home: 613.489.4174 Cell: 613.720.0821

You are receiving this email because you have requested it or I felt you would be interested in this material.

If you would like to be removed from this email list, please do not hesitate to contact me at the above email address.

Likewise, if you know of someone else who you believe would appreciate receiving these messages, please let me know.


No comments:

Post a Comment