Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Daily Prayer - Being or Doing?

Good Tuesday morning, my friends.
 
Yesterday's message on being rather than doing elicited a few responses.  Most could relate as they felt that God was providing this message for them.  One, however, had a different take.  A good friend of mine feels God telling him the opposite.  He writes "we in North America are too complacent and self satisfied with our lot in life – even as Christians – and that we're called by Christ to be doing a whole lot more.  Not  "being" but "doing"."  So which is it?  Should we be doing or being?
 
Well the answer, of course, is "YES".  We should be doing both.  But we must be grounded in our being - being at peace with God and enjoying a relationship with Him so that our doing is not to gain His favour but rather a response to the amazing love He pours out on us.  For my friend, my understanding of his relationship with God is that being is not an issue, and so God is telling him to be doing.  For me, I have been spending too much time doing and need to think more about being (without stopping the doing).
 
I love the way God gives us seeming paradoxes so that we have to continually examine our motives when it comes to living life as a Christ follower.
 
 
Amazing Grace and Eternal Peace be yours,
Bruce 
Who is Jesus to me?
 
Jesus is the Word made Flesh.
Jesus is the Bread of Life.
Jesus is the Victim offered for our sins on the Cross.
Jesus is the Sacrifice for the sins of the world and mine.
Jesus is the Word - to be spoken.
Jesus is the Truth - to be told.
Jesus is the Way - to be walked.
Jesus is the Light - to be lit.
Jesus is the Life - to be loved.
Jesus is the Joy - to be shared.
Jesus is the Sacrifice - to be given.
Jesus is the Bread of Life - to be eaten.
Jesus is the Hungry - to be fed.
Jesus is the Thirsty - to be satiated.
Jesus is the Naked - to be clothed.
Jesus is the Homeless - to be taken in.
Jesus is the Sick - to be healed.
Jesus is the Lonely - to be loved.
Jesus is the Unwanted - to be wanted.
Jesus is the Leper - to wash his wounds.
Jesus is the Beggar - to give him a smile.
Jesus is the Drunkard - to listen to him.
Jesus is the Little One - to embrace him.
Jesus is the Dumb - to speak to him.
Jesus is the Crippled - to walk with him.
Jesus is the Drug Addict - to befriend him.
Jesus is the Prostitute - to remove from danger and befriend her.
Jesus is the Prisoner - to be visited.
Jesus is the Old - to be served.
 
To me Jesus is my God,
Jesus is my Spouse,
Jesus is my Life,
Jesus is my only Love,
Jesus is my All in All,
Jesus is my Everything.
 
Amen.
 
Mother Teresa of Calcutta.
 
  
 
Bruce MacPherson
 
macpherson@celtic.ca / Blog: The Celtic Christian / Home: 613.489.4174 Cell: 613.720.0821
 
You are receiving this email because you have requested it or I felt you would be interested in this material.
 
If you would like to be removed from this email list, please do not hesitate to contact me at the above email address.
 
Likewise, if you know of someone else who you believe would appreciate receiving these messages, please let me know.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment