Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Daily Prayer - Bear fruit

Good Tuesday morning, my friends.
 
As I may have mentioned before, I have a list of words on a piece of paper over my desk.  They read:
 
Love
Joy
Peace
Patience
Kindness
Goodness
Faithfulness
Gentleness
Self-control
 
You may recognize these as Paul's list of the "Fruit of the Spirit" from Galatians 5.
 
More than once I have looked at this list and thought something like "I am doing pretty well with love, kindness, and gentleness; OK with joy, peace, goodness and faithfulness; but suck at patience and self-control".  Then I resolve to do better at the ones in that latter list.  Ever do that?
 
We tend to look at this as a to-do list.  But producing this fruit is not something we do, but rather something that God does in and through us.  We cannot attain any of these by effort, but only by abiding in Christ.  Jesus said: "I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing." (John 15:5).
 
So we must stop trying to bear fruit, but rather walk in step with the Holy Spirit and God will produce an orchard of fruit. 
 
 
Grace and peace be yours in abundance,
 
Bruce
 
 
Holy and loving Father,
May we seek to walk in step with your Spirit today.
And in doing so may we allow You to produce abundant fruit in our lives.
 
In the wonderful name of Jesus we pray.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment