Search This Blog

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Daily Prayer - Rules or Relationship?

Good Thursday morning, my friends.
 
Religion is about keeping rules. Do this, don't do that, blah blah blah.  And if we do a good job keeping the rules we get into heaven.  And if we don't?  Well, there is a place for that too.
 
This is the concept of God that I grew up with, and frankly it has been hard to shake off.  Maybe you can relate.  But it is not the God of the Bible.
 
Did God give us rules?  Absolutely.  Are they there simply to restrict us?  No.  They are there because He loves us and wants to protect us.  Look at it this way, if you have a dog, do you fence in the back yard just to restrict Fido?  Or is it to protect him from getting lost or worse, hit by a car?  And if Fido should happen to get out of the yard and take off do you write him off and say, "Oh well, I guess he's gone"?  No! You go looking for him, just like God pursues us when we stray.
 
God invites us into a relationship with Him that is not predicated on us keeping the rules.  But once we have accepted the invitation and entered into that relationship we obey because of gratitude and because the rules were created in love.
 
Rules are good.  Relationship is better.
 
 
Grace ane peace be yours in abundance,
Bruce
 
 
Lord Jesus it's Your plan that I live a full, balanced life.
 
As I long for more of You in my life I realize I need to trust You more.
 
I pray for unshakable faith in Your promises to me.
 
I pray for a deeper relationship with You.
 
Help me to learn Your Word and how to apply it to my life.
 
Help me to let go of childish behaviors as I grow to know You more.
 
I invite You to use me as a vessel of Your love and grace to those around me.
 
Thank you for accepting me Jesus. Amen
 

No comments:

Post a Comment