Search This Blog

Friday, November 30, 2012

Daily Prayer - Seasoning and illumination

Good Friday morning, my friends.
 
Jesus said:
You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot.
 
You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven. (Matthew 5:13-16)
I love these words, but they are challenging.  Sure, it's easy when I am in church on Sunday mornings.  It's easy when I am in a Bible study.  It's easy when I am praying with my family before a meal (sometimes!).  But what about Monday morning at work?  What about Tuesday evening at the pub with friends?  What about Friday night in front of the television?  Are we "seasoning" those around us or is there a blandness about the way we live such that we don't look any different than our neighbours or co-workers?  Are we "illuminating" the path for someone else or are we hiding in darkness because we are afraid to share the Gospel?
 
To be honest, these questions make me uncomfortable.  That's because I have to then ask if I am practicing what I preach? Truthfully, not enough.  But the Holy Spirit is convicting me of this not to condemn me, but to encourage me.  Being salt and light in this world is a gift from God.  Anytime I have had the opportunity to discuss the Gospel, faith, or the Bible with a friend or neighbour I have come away feeling blessed.  And I want more blessings!
 
Who will you be salt or light for today?
 
 
Grace and peace be yours in abundance,
Bruce
 
 
Dear Lord, I thank you for your Word which teaches me that I am made in the image of you,
I know am the salt of the earth and I am the light of the world.
 
Help me to continue to be that greater light in such a dark world,
not allowing the tricks of the enemy to deter me from living a Christ-like lifestyle.
 
In Jesus' name.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment