Search This Blog

Thursday, November 22, 2012

Daily Prayer - Wake up!

Good Thursday morning, my friends.
 
I was listening to a Francis Chan sermon podcast on my way to work this morning and was challenged by this question:
"Which would you say is worse: a church with poor Biblical teaching and a poor record of Christian service OR a church with strong Biblical teaching and a poor record of Christian service?"
Pause and re-read that.
 
Think of it in this context: "But the one who does not know and does things deserving punishment will be beaten with few blows. From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked." (Luke 12:48)
 
I don't know about you, but I hear and read a LOT of sound, Biblical teaching.  I have been given MUCH.  Chances are that you, like I, attend a church that teaches from and about the Bible.  And people are attracted to that, to the Truth.  Are there a lot of people in your church?  There sure are in mine.  Does your church have a great reputation?  Mine does.  But so did the church in Sardis when Jesus said these words:
"To the angel of the church in Sardis write:
 
These are the words of him who holds the seven spirits of God and the seven stars. I know your deeds; you have a reputation of being alive, but you are dead. Wake up! Strengthen what remains and is about to die, for I have found your deeds unfinished in the sight of my God. Remember, therefore, what you have received and heard; hold it fast, and repent. But if you do not wake up, I will come like a thief, and you will not know at what time I will come to you."
Sardis has been called the "Zombie Church" - the church of the living dead.  Do you suddenly feel hungry for brains?  It may be a sign that you belong to a "Sardis" church!
 
But I digress.  It is easy, oh so easy, to be convicted by these words and then just shrug and walk away.  But remember the words of James 1:23-25 "Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do."  Can you remember what you look like?
 
Like I said, I was challenged by the question.  And my response is to challenge you.  Do you, and your church, need to wake up?
 
 
Grace and peace be yours in abundance,
Bruce
 
 
Heavenly Father,
 
We pray that the church would be alive, not only in reputation but in reality.
 
We pray that the congregation would become stronger in their faith.
 
We pray that the people in the congregation would continue in good works.
 
We pray that the church would repent of its sin.
 
We pray that the people in the church would be characterized by purity.
 
We pray that the church would be alive in You!
 
We pray this in Jesus name.  Amen.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment