Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Daily Prayer - for Dave

Good Wednesday morning, my friends.

Ten years ago today, my very good friend Dave passed away.  Dave lost his long battle with non-hodgkin's lymphoma.  I had the privilege of speaking at his funeral, and spoke of the various parts of Dave's personality I got to know over the years.  I first met Dave "the car guy"; then Dave "the deal guy"; followed by Dave "the family guy"; and finally Dave "my friend".

Dave "the deal guy" had a few people in the audience nodding their heads.  They remembered, as I did, Dave always knowing someone who could get us a deal on whatever we were looking for - be it tires, paint, lumber, or even flowers.  Unfailingly, Dave would say "Bruce, I know a guy and I think I can get you a deal" in his Midland English accent.  I cited several examples as I spoke.  I concluded Dave's eulogy with this:  "Dave, as you leave this world and search for the next ...  I know a guy and I think I can get you a deal."  That "guy" of course is Jesus Christ.  And we can offer our friends the deal of a lifetime.  Actually, the deal of eternity. Invite a friend or family member to church this weekend.  Easter is a fantastic time for someone to hear the Gospel.  Be in prayer for them before, during and after.

Thanks for the memories, Dave.


Grace and peace be yours in abundance,
Bruce


Lord, I give you (name) and thank you for them.

I thank you for everything that they are
And for all their gifts and talents.

I thank you for the many things that they have given to others 
And for all the kindness that they have shown me.

Lord, at the beginning of time You breathed Your life into creation 
May you breathe Your life into them now 
So that each step they take is filled with Your faith
Each thought they think is filled with Your hope
and each moment they live is filled with Your love.

May they fully know Your life
And fully live in Your love
This day and every day

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment