Search This Blog

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Daily Prayer - Let no words pass my lips ...

Good Thursday morning, my friends.
 
My son, Elijah, was in youth group at our church last evening.  On the way home we asked him what the theme of the evening had been.  He said "Word with Friends".  However, it was not about the online Scrabble-like game that is very popular on smart phones but rather about how words can wound or heal.  This morning I (re-)discovered a document on my USB drive entitled "Let no words pass my lips that I would not speak in the presence of the Lord".  I put this together few years ago, and may have even sent it out, but I thought it was worth repeating. 
 

Let no words pass my lips that I would not speak in the presence of the Lord
Your sin prompts your mouth; you adopt the tongue of the crafty. Job 15:4-6
 
May the LORD cut off all flattering lips and every boastful tongue Psalm 12:2-4
 
keep your tongue from evil and your lips from speaking lies. Psalm 34:12-14
 
They sharpen their tongues like swords and aim their words like deadly arrows. Psalm 64:2-4
 
keeping you from the immoral woman, from the smooth tongue of the wayward wife. Proverbs 6:23-25
 
Truthful lips endure forever, but a lying tongue lasts only a moment. Proverbs 12:18-20
 
A lying tongue hates those it hurts, and a flattering mouth works ruin. Proverbs 26:27-28
 
"They make ready their tongue like a bow, to shoot lies; it is not by truth that they triumph in the land. They go from one sin to another; they do not acknowledge me," declares the LORD. Jeremiah 9:2-4
 
Their tongue is a deadly arrow; it speaks with deceit. With his mouth each speaks cordially to his neighbor, but in his heart he sets a trap for him. Jeremiah 9:7-9
 
"Their throats are open graves; their tongues practice deceit. The poison of vipers is on their lips." Romans 3:12-14
 
If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless. James 1:25-27
 
Likewise the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. James 3:4-6
 
The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole person, sets the whole course of his life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell. James 3:5-7
 
but no man can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison. James 3:7-9
 
For, "Whoever would love life and see good days must keep his tongue from evil and his lips from deceitful speech. 1 Peter 3:9-11
 
 
 
 
 
My tongue will speak of your righteousness and of your praises all day long. Psalm 35:27-28
 
The mouth of the righteous man utters wisdom, and his tongue speaks what is just. Psalm 37:29-31
 
 
Save me from bloodguilt, O God, the God who saves me, and my tongue will sing of your righteousness. Psalm 51:13-15
 
 
I cried out to him with my mouth; his praise was on my tongue. Psalm 66:16-18
 
May my tongue sing of your word, for all your commands are righteous. Psalm 119:171-173
 
Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent, and discerning if he holds his tongue. Proverbs 17:27-28
 
and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. Philippians 2:10-12
 
 
May our tongues be tools of righteousness today, and not weapons of destruction.
 
 
Grace and peace be yours in abundance,
Bruce
 
 
God I yield my lips over to serve you.
Help me to do no harm, encourage others and spread goodness.
 
 
 
Lord Christ, my tongue can be a problem.
In modern parlance, it's a lack of discretion, sensitivity or decorum; sometimes sarcasm; sometimes gossip.
 
Holy Spirit, I need an assist...to be mindful of my speech; to be more thoughtful about my audience; to engage my brain before opening my mouth; and to internalize this Proverb: Watch your words and hold your tongue; you'll save yourself a lot of grief. (Proverbs 21:23, The Message)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment