Search This Blog

Friday, July 5, 2013

Daily Prayer - Easter Friday?

Good Friday morning, my friends.
  
It may be Friday, but it feels like Sunday in my family.  Easter Sunday.  A day of the dead being raised to life.  There is lots of anticipation as my brother Lyle's stem cell transplant begins at 9:00am Calgary time this morning.  I am so grateful for all the prayers you guys brought to the Throne Room yesterday - they have definitely been heard.  The medical staff "harvested" an abundance of stem cells from my sister, Beth - way over the amount needed.  And it goes way beyond that as you will read.  God is good.  I feel you have become part of my family during this and I wanted to share with you what Beth wrote last evening:  
If any one here ever doubted the power of prayer I can tell you that those doubts are all gone. With the exception of a few very miserable hours, the effects the doctors and nurses have been expecting have been minimal or nonexistent. Instead of being greeted by a half dead man in his bed this morning as we expected, he met us at the door to his room in a frustrated state because there were no towels and soap in his bathroom and he wanted to have a shower. He looked better than any day since I've come! It was stunningly unbelievable to all of us. We got the nurse to fix him up so he could shower before his total body radiation and I went on my way down to the clinic to get ready for my hook up. He was really nerved up today because they were due to give him a double dose of yesterday's medication and he thought he was going to die from it. Instead, he has not thrown up once today, he has not run a fever, and has only had mild chills occasionally. In addition to the drug we call the rabbit juice (because it comes from rabbits), he had 2 sessions of radiation as well as a chest xray. When I saw him after my collection was finished, he looked like it was just any other day. And then we all celebrated with hugs and tears as it sank in once again what is happening. I wish I could put into words what this is, but I cannot even put it into thought. It is only in the exchanged looks where eyes fill with tears that it can be felt and shared. This frustrates me a little because I try to understand it and want to share it, but I am totally baffled by the strength of the emotions attached to it. Tomorrow we want to be there as they hang that bag of cells to feed to his body. It seems a very momentous occasion that will be totally underwhelming in its simplicity. This blood is new hope, promise, new life.... the only way to life. Again I can't help but see the glaring analogy to the Father's love. I feel great. I should be exhausted but I'm barely tired. Many hugs and thanks to all of you who have been praying, our Lord is listening and faithfully answering. Your hearts and souls are such a blessing, don't ever underestimate your worth. Lyle is looking forward to coming down to the Island to hug every one. He's talking August. I used to think that was crazy. I'm now putting bets on it. lol GOD HEARS AND HE IS GOOD!
  
God is good.
  
Amazing Grace and Eternal Peace be yours!
Bruce


Dear Jesus, Divine Physician, Healer of the Sick.

We call upon you and ask your help for our loved ones who are suffering from cancer.
We entrust them to your loving care.
They are your children and they are in pain.
Give them the ability to know in their hearts
that you are with them in this difficult time.

Give them strength and healing.
Comfort them in their fears,
soothe their anxiety,
and let them rest securely in your arms.

Help those who care for them.
Give insight to researchers that they may discover cures.
Give patience and energy to doctors and nurses so that
they will care for them with grace and love.

For us, their families, their friends and their community,
we need your courage and strength,
to be with them and help them bear their burdens.
Give us joy, peace and confidence in you
so that we may stand with them in faith and trust,
witnessing to your healing love.

For you are blessed, for ever and ever. Amen.

(adapted from http://www.anthonian.org/resources/prayers/300-prayer-for-those-who-have-cancer-and-their-loved-ones)

No comments:

Post a Comment