Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Church should be a little like heaven.

Good Wednesday morning, my friends.

What does the church look like to you?  In an article I read this morning, John Fishcer wrote 

Church should be a little like heaven—full of a whole bunch of people who can't believe they got there, know they don't deserve to be there, and can't wait to find out what happens next. (Read the full article here.)

I don't know about you, but that is not a very accurate description some of the churches I have been to, although I see some glimmers of that now and again - particularly when I hear testimonies of what Christ has done for people.  

So what should the church look like?  Well as I was looking for a prayer this morning I came across something very unusual.  In a blog called "Experimental Theology" I found an entry titled "AN ATHEIST'S PRAYER FOR THE CHURCH".  It describes a book by Philip Pullman called "The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ."  Quoted in the blog entry is a prayer, presented as being prayed by Jesus in Gethsemane.  Below is that prayer.  (When reading the opening line, remember the author is an atheist - it's the rest of the prayer that I want you to concentrate on.)  Folks, we are the church.  On Sunday mornings and on Wednesday afternoons.  It's up to us to give people a glimpse of heaven.


Amazing grace and eternal peace to you,
Bruce


"Lord, if I thought you were listening, I'd pray for this above all: that my church set up in your name should remain poor, and powerless, and modest. 

That it should wield no authority except that of love. 

That it should never cast anyone out. 

That it should own no property and make no laws. 

That is should not condemn, but only forgive. 

That it should be not like a palace with marble walls and polished floors, and guards standing at the door, but like a tree with its roots deep in the soil, that shelters every kind of bird and beast and gives blossom in the spring and shade in hot sun and fruit in the season, and in time gives up its good sound wood for the carpenter; but that sheds many thousands of seeds so that new trees can grow in its place. 

Does the tree say to the sparrow 'Get out, you don't belong here?' 

Does the tree say to the hungry man 'This fruit is not for you?' 

Does the tree test the loyalty of the beasts before it allows them into the shade?"




Bruce MacPherson

macpherson@celtic.ca 


No comments:

Post a Comment