Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

No strings attached

Good Wednesday morning, my friends.

Have you ever had someone do something for you, or buy you something, and then everytime you have a disagreement with them they remind you of "all they have done for you"?  When we give to one another, there are often strings attached.  The Bible warns against this in Proverbs 6:3-5:


  then do this, my son, to free yourself, 

       since you have fallen into your neighbor's hands: 

       Go and humble yourself; 

       press your plea with your neighbor!



  Allow no sleep to your eyes, 

       no slumber to your eyelids.



  Free yourself, like a gazelle from the hand of the hunter, 

       like a bird from the snare of the fowler.

But God gives us gifts with no strings attached.  He freely sustains our life, and gives us undeserved salvation.  Paul put it this way in Romans 5:8:

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

That's the kind of present that blows me away.  And it is one I can open it every day!


Amazing Grace and Eternal Peace be yours today,
Bruce


Allow me, Father, to always wonder at the amazing gifts you bestow upon me.

Gifts that are neither earned nor deserved.

Remind me to emulate you when I give to others - that I never ask for anything in return - that my left hand would not know what my right hand is doing.

Remind me, as you did the Israelites, that I am blessed to be a blessing to others.

And help me to always retain the wonder of what You have done for me.

In Jesus holy name I pray.  Amen.




Bruce MacPherson

macpherson@celtic.ca 

No comments:

Post a Comment