Search This Blog

Friday, September 3, 2010

Attitude

Good Friday morning, my friends.

How is your attitude today?  Are you upbeat and hopeful?  Or are you downhearted and fearful?

Charles Swindoll in his "Insight for Today" says:



Thoughts are the thermostat that regulates what we accomplish in life. If I feed my mind upon doubt, disbelief, and discouragement, that is precisely the kind of day my body will experience. If I adjust my thermostat forward to thoughts filled with vision, vitality, and victory, I can count on that kind of day. Thus, you and I become what we think about.



Neither Dale Carnegie nor Norman Vincent Peale originated such a message. God did. "For as [a man] thinks within himself, so he is" (Prov. 23:7). "Therefore, prepare your minds for action" (1 Peter 1:13).


My lovely wife, Rosemary, sent me that this morning.  She did so because she knows that these days I am in danger of sliding back and forth between these two attitudes.  The reason?  I work on a contract basis and we are going through the stress, once again, of a contract ending and not being sure of what's next.  I say "again" because this is certainly not the first time - I have been working this way for over 20 years.  But there is a difference this time - a positive difference.  Whereas in previous times I have been filled with doubt and fear, this time I am surprisingly (mostly) calm and confident.  Sure I have my moments of "what if" - what if I don't find a new contract?  What if I can't provide for my family?  What if I am a failure?  But when that happens I remind myself of how well God provided for me through all the years I didn't even know him.  I remind myself that he has plans to prosper me, not to harm me (Jeremiah 29:11).  Yesterday I was reading 2 Corinthians 4:16-18: 

So we're not giving up. How could we! Even though on the outside it often looks like things are falling apart on us, on the inside, where God is making new life, not a day goes by without his unfolding grace. These hard times are small potatoes compared to the coming good times, the lavish celebration prepared for us. There's far more here than meets the eye. The things we see now are here today, gone tomorrow. But the things we can't see now will last forever.

How could we give up?  We have the "Good News", the Gospel.

So let me ask you - how is your attitude today?

Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.
(Philippians 4:8)


Amazing Grace and Peace that surpasses ALL understanding be yours,
Bruce


O Lord, 
In this time of need, strengthen me. 
You are my strength and my shield; You are my refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. 
I know, Father, that Your eyes go to and fro throughout the earth to strengthen those whose hearts long for You. 
The body grows weary, but my hope is in You to renew my strength.

I do not fear, for You are with me.
I am not dismayed or overwhelmed, for You are my God. 
I know You will strengthen me and help me; that You will uphold me with Your righteous hand. 
Even as the shadows cover me, I feel the comfort of Your strength, Oh Lord.
Amen.




Bruce MacPherson

macpherson@celtic.ca 

No comments:

Post a Comment