Search This Blog

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Why is it important for me to realize I am a sinner?

Good Thursday morning, my friends.

John Fischer posed an interesting question in his "Daily Catch" email today: "Why is it important for me to realize I am a sinner? Because everyone else is."

He goes on:

Our connection with sinners is our sin, not our righteousness. The good news of our salvation through Jesus Christ came to us while we were still sinners; so how do we plan to take that good news to other sinners? Through our near-perfect sainthood? I think not.


We often think that reflecting our "perfect new life" is what will attract others to come to faith.  In fact, it is the message of the Gospel that is attractive - that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us (Romans 5:8).



Fischer continues:

The degree to which we feel removed from sin and sinners is the degree to which we will render ourselves ineffective for the gospel. We come from a long tradition of thinking that our impeccable lives will be the gospel's most treasured possession, and that by nature of our glowing brilliance we will draw the world to us. As it turns out, we're the ones who treasure those perfect lives. The only treasure of sinners is the gospel. When we see ourselves as saints too soon, we leave the point of the gospel behind, forgetting why it is such good news.

Is it any reason much of the world sees us as being "self-righteous"?  How will you (and I) reflect the Gospel today?


Amazing Grace and Eternal Peace to you,
Bruce


Lord Jesus Christ, I pray that you may fortify me with the grace of your Holy Spirit, and give your peace to my soul, that I may be free from all nedless anxiety and worry.  
Help me to desire always that which is pleasing and acceptable to you, so that your will may be my will. 

Grant that I may be free from unholy desires, and that , for your love, I may remain obscure and unknown in this world, to be known only to you.

Do not permit me to attribute to myself the good that you perform in me and through me, but rather, referring all honor to you, may I admit only to my infirmities, so that renouncing sincerely all vainglory which comes from the world, I may aspire to that true and lasting glory that comes from you.  Amen

St. Frances Cabrini



Bruce MacPherson

macpherson@celtic.ca 

No comments:

Post a Comment