Search This Blog

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Give us, O Lord, a humble spirit


Good Thursday morning, my friends.

I found this prayer to be a great reminder to me.  It reminds me of where I have been, how imperfect I still am, the grace that has been (and is being) offered to me, and the hope I have for the future.  

I have indeed "been much forgiven".  

I have had some discussion this week with someone (not on this list!) who appears to me to have been "overtaken by temptation" as this prayer puts it.  To say the conversation has strained the relationship is putting it mildly.  But in the midst of the turmoil, the hurt feelings, and the urge to defend, I need to remember the times I have fallen and been forgiven.  Easier said than done, but these reminders help.  My prayer (as always) is that this will help you with something happening - or about to happen - in your life.

Amazing grace and eternal peace to you,
Bruce



Give us, O Lord, a humble spirit, 
that we may never presume upon your mercy, 
but live always as those who have been much forgiven. 

Make us tender and compassionate towards those who are overtaken by temptation, 
considering ourselves, 
how we have fallen in times past and may fall yet again. 

Make us watchful and sober-minded, 
looking ever unto you for grace to stand upright, 
and to persevere unto the end; 

through your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.




Bruce MacPherson

macpherson@celtic.ca / Blog: The Celtic Christian / Home: 613.489.4174 Cell: 613.720.0821

You are receiving this email because you have requested it or I felt you would be interested in this material.

If you would like to be removed from this email list, please do not hesitate to contact me at the above email address.

Likewise, if you know of someone else who you believe would appreciate receiving these messages, please let me know.


No comments:

Post a Comment