Search This Blog

Monday, November 29, 2010

Teach me to pray


Good Monday morning, my friends.

I have (yet another) confession to make:  Prayer is not my strong suit.  In fact, I struggle with it daily.  During the service we attended yesterday, one of the scriptures that was used was Romans 12:10-13

Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves. Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Share with the Lord's people who are in need. Practice hospitality.

Theses are beautiful words, and a wonderful description of how God wants His Church to be.  For me, the words that struck home were "faithful in prayer", knowing that as a part of His Church I need to grow in this area.  Now it may sound strange that I struggle with this, considering I send out a "Daily Email" prayer.  But as I consider it, perhaps it is not that strange at all.  My struggle with prayer causes me to seek out the prayers of those who are much better at it than I.  And I discovered a wealth of it; a virtual treasure trove.  It has become my privilege to share it with you.  

I still strive to achieve a higher level of intimacy with my Lord through prayer, thus the words below that implore "Lord, teach me to pray!"

Something else I want to mention about the service we attended yesterday.  During the service the sixteen year old son of very good friends of ours was baptized.  What a blessing to be there to hear his, and his parents, testimony and to witness this young man dedicating his life to Christ.  What an incredible example of courage and faith for others his age (and older!).


Grace and peace be yours in abundance,
Bruce



Every day I see again that only you can teach me to pray,
only you can set my heart at rest.
Only you can let me dwell in your presence.

No book, no concept or theory will ever bring me close to you
unless you yourself are the one who lets them become the doors to you.

But Lord, let me at least remain open to your initiative.
Let me wait patiently and attentively for the hour when you will come
and break through the walls I have erected.

Create new doors.
Teach me, O Lord, to pray

Amen

Henri Nouwen





Bruce MacPherson

macpherson@celtic.ca / Blog: The Celtic Christian / Home: 613.489.4174 Cell: 613.720.0821

You are receiving this email because you have requested it or I felt you would be interested in this material.

If you would like to be removed from this email list, please do not hesitate to contact me at the above email address.

Likewise, if you know of someone else who you believe would appreciate receiving these messages, please let me know.


No comments:

Post a Comment