Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Judge Not That Ye Be Not Judged


Good Tuesday morning, my friends.

You may (or may not) have noticed that I did not send out a prayer yesterday.  It was a bit of a hectic day at the office.  When I got to my desk yesterday I found out that there was a serious problem with one of the software applications I am responsible for.  The problem was affecting a number of other systems and a major database had to be brought down for the day.  I spent the day trying to track down and solve the problem.

In the middle of all this I had someone come into my office to make fun of the situation, enjoying seeing the stress I was under.  At least that's how I saw it.  As I reflect now, I imagine they were just joking around but it didn't seem that way at the time.  And I didn't react particularly well to it.  Let's just say I invited them to leave my cubicle.

So last evening I spent some time steaming about that, having all kinds of confrontational conversations with this person (at least in my mind).  I prepared what I would say and how I would say it and it wasn't particularly nice.  But I was in the right!  I needed to have my say!  

And then God got involved.  The message I got was "Bruce - perhaps you can model grace for this person."  My initial reaction was - "Oh, thanks a lot God - you take away all my fun."  But of course He was right.  Don't you just hate that sometimes?  To add salt to the wound (my wounded pride that is), my sister Beth sent me a poem last night entitled "Judge Not That Ye Be Not Judged".  The verse that  jumped out at me was ...

He will return all the mercy you'd shown.

It's time to come down from your self-righteous throne.

There's too many people, you've mercilessly tried.

God will cast judgement. You're not qualified.  (The poem is by Steve Ackerman and can be found here.)  

I am not qualified.  Indeed.  Well I gotta go -  I owe someone a cup of coffee.


Grace and peace be yours in abundance through the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord,
Bruce


Faultless Lord, enduring death for me,
You have consummated the debt of my sins:
Your sacrifice of forgiveness was absolute!

Grant me the strength to also forgive others,
To excuse their transgressions against me.

So I may truly reflect this spiritual fruit,
Obliterate any persistent feelings of malice.

Let each trespass end as a closing chapter,
My continuing on the road of righteousness.

Forgive my sins as I aspire to forgive others.

You are truly archetypical of forgiveness.

You are a most forgiving Lord! 




Bruce MacPherson

macpherson@celtic.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment