Search This Blog

Friday, January 14, 2011

Fear of the Lord


Good Friday morning, my friends.

I just wanted to follow up on some of my thoughts from yesterday concerning our view of God.  

When was the last time you heard a sermon on "the fear of God"?  The Hebrew scriptures (Old Testament) are replete with warnings to "fear God":
  • Proverbs 1:7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
  • Proverbs 9:10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.
  • Proverbs 15:33 The fear of the LORD is the instruction of wisdom; and before honour is humility.
  • Proverbs 16:6 ...the fear of the Lord makes men turn from evil.
  • Proverbs 19:23 The fear of the Lord is life; he who is full of it will rest untouched by evil.
  • Psalms 111:10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do his commandments: his praise endureth for ever.
  • Psalms 34:11 Come, my children, listen to me; I will teach you the fear of the Lord.
  • Psalms 76:4,7 You [O God] are resplendent with light... You alone are to be feared.
  • Psalms 89:7 In the council of the holy ones God is greatly feared.
  • Psalms 103:10-11 He has not dealt with us according to our sins, Nor punished us according to our iniquities. For as the heavens are high above the earth, So great is His mercy toward those who fear Him;
  • Job 28:28  ..."The fear of the Lord is wisdom, and to turn from evil is understanding."
  • Jeremiah 5:22 "Should you not fear me?" declares the Lord. "Should you not tremble in my presence?"


And that is just a small sample!  

The Hebrew words are "yirah", "yare" and "pachad" and mean reverent fear, terror, or dread, normally translated simply fear.

But what about the New Testament?  Is "fear of God" a component of the apostolic teachings?  Well, how about:
  • 2 Corinthians 5:11 Since, then, we know what it is to fear the Lord, we try to persuade men...
  • Philemon 2:12-13 ...continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose.
  • 1 Peter 2:17 Show proper respect to everyone, love the family of believers, fear God, honor the emperor.
  • Luke 12:5 But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear him who, after your body has been killed, has authority to throw you into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him.

And how about this episode after Ananias and Sapphira tried to lie to God about how much they had received for a property they had sold:

At that moment she fell down at his feet and died. Then the young men came in and, finding her dead, carried her out and buried her beside her husband. Great fear seized the whole church and all who heard about these events.


The apostles performed many signs and wonders among the people. And all the believers used to meet together in Solomon's Colonnade. No one else dared join them, even though they were highly regarded by the people. (Acts 5:10-13)



Do we, the church today, have an appropriate reverent awe or fear of God?  


Amazing Grace and Eternal Peace to you,
Bruce


Heavenly Father, 

You have called me to be a member of the mystical body of Your Son, Jesus Christ, and to be a temple of the Holy Spirit. 

In Your goodness, grant unto me the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit: 

wisdom, that I may understand the follies of this life; 
understanding, that I may grasp more fully the meaning of my existence and the purpose of all things in the world; 
counsel, that I may always choose the proper way; 
fortitude, that I may remain faithful to You under the pressure of temptation; 
knowledge, that I may always be aware of the ways of God; 
piety, that I may revere You in all I do, think, or say; 
fear of the Lord, if the motive of love should fail me, that I may be quickly awakened to the eternal consequences of my deeds. 

Come, O Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of Your faithful, and kindle in them the fire of Your love. 

Amen.



Bruce MacPherson

macpherson@celtic.ca / Blog: The Celtic Christian / Home: 613.489.4174 Cell: 613.720.0821

You are receiving this email because you have requested it or I felt you would be interested in this material.

If you would like to be removed from this email list, please do not hesitate to contact me at the above email address.

Likewise, if you know of someone else who you believe would appreciate receiving these messages, please let me know.


No comments:

Post a Comment